Where to start

naccoachbob

Re: Where to start

Post by naccoachbob »

I bought Cumpiano's book and found it very hard to read. It was so technical in nature that it turned me off, and I offered to send it on the trip like was done with the book about building Clapton's guitar.
Later I got Kinkead's book and found it much more readible. However, I just use them for some guidance. I'm relying almost entirely on KMG's step-by-step, as I'm using his kit, but I often refer to O'brien's and StewMac's DVD's for some things.
Woody OKeefe

Post by Woody OKeefe »

This the first time I have read this post.
Since I have been a player for 50 years, I approached my desire to build from a player's point of view. This means I was totally ignorant of guitar building procedures, but I knew I wanted something that sounded good. After reading Cumpiano's book , I was devastated. I realized that I didn't have a clue how to start. Then I found Bill Cory's Kit Guitar Builders Forum and realized, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. My fear factor went from 10 to 5 right away. As I stated I am a player, but I do have college degrees in Broadcasting and Business management. This does not help in building a guitar. After lurking for over a year, I asked John Hall to provide me with a martin kit with some changes. It turned out great and I use this guitar for any gigs I play, although at 65, they are not as frequent as they once were.
This forum has many members who have an inordinate amount of experience building guitars and I use that knowledge to help me better my hobby. I do not have the time or the inclination to read all the publications on guitars, but I do rely on you as my online mentors, and I have noticed that since John Hall has taken over this forum, the amount of knowlegeable builders has increased many fold.

To John, Ken, Rick, Tom et al

Thank you

Thank you so much for this education.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

thanks Woody Glad we all can help. that is the desire for the forum . Bill started this forum and when we took it over we wanted to keep Bill's vision . Many of the experts like Rick Davis , have credentials that bring this forum up a Notch. Ken Ceip , myself all want to help bring all builders skills along.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

This forum is still a GREAT place, but I do miss Bill's participation. He has, however I believe, for the most part, moved on. Some things in his life are changing and taking him in a new direction. I do also appreciate the expertise we have available and the willingness you Luthiers have to share your craft with us beginners. I salute you all!

I have a number of books; Kinkades, Cumpiano, McWilliams, and that great classical book by Bognanovich (or something like that).
I really do like Kinkades down to earth approach to explaining the craft, and the photos are wonderful. When I build my first classical guitar, the Bognanovich book will be out on the bench with me.

Kevin
klooker

Post by klooker »

I picked up Kinkade's book from Half Price Books (here in Ohio) for $10.

Not gloating, just giving a heads up.

Kevin Looker
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Hey, I know a gloat when I hear one! :-)
Just kidding. Thanks for the tip!
DaveB