Where to start

kencierp

Where to start

Post by kencierp »

In my opinion the very best publication for those thinking about building from scratch is the one written by Jonathan Kinkeade ---- the system that is the most complicated and error prone is presented by Compiano. I own most of what has been published and these are (again in my view) at the two ends of the spectrum.
tippie53

Re: Where to start

Post by tippie53 »

I have to agree , with so many books out there , it is difficult to pick only one. Often information in one book is contradicted in another. I started with Jim Williams "The guitarmakers manual " . It worked for me but it is minimalist in information. Some books go beyond what you need so find what works best for you .
We here at this forum want you to know , we are here to help. There are many here in all different ranges of ability . Ken Ceip and Myself ( John Hall ) have been doing this a long time . Ken and I have helped many. We both often do things differently but we get the result in the end .
JJ Donahue , Mike Franks are people that I know personally and are very good . Rick Davis was an early mentor for me and he has Running Dog guitars and does fine work . Please for those that I didn't mention I hope you accept it as an oversite and not as no one else knows anything . There are plenty of people here that will help anyone along the way,
So please have fun and feel free to share your experience .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I help as much as I can. Not that I know anything! LOL
This is a great and helpful place. I plan to post here for a long time.
Thanks to everyone who has helped me.
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

Ken: I have also collected most of the written material that is out there and think there is no perfect book.There are certainly books that are not as good as you have listed. I think those two books are on a fairly level plain. I also think that building books have improved as we have moved forward in time. I have to mention the first book I ever used and think it was very much ahead of it's time. The author does not get the credit he deserves because of one major mistakes he put forth. The gluing of the neck to the sides in a butt joint. He name was David Russel Young.Also until recently most of the books told you what to do but not why you do it. Somogyi does that with his "The Responsive Guitar", but the companion book "Building The Responsive Guitar" follows the lines of most of the building books and for me has things I would not do. No doubt the best way is what John is advocating,find a local mentor. That aside,get one of the mentioned books,search the various forums,ask questions.The first few guitars are generally a carpentry exercise. After you get the building down,then you start to learn how to make good guitars. As usual just MHO.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Actually, I built a dozen or so Dave Russel Young "D" Size guitars matter of fact my Black Walnut "lab guitar" (one I experiment with) shown below is his design. The epoxied neck butt joint was not well thought out, especially considering that the sides were not epoxied to the neck block -- can't have one without the other! The logic behind his "over contoured braces" was/is flawed as well. I used Erving Sloane's very clever angled vertical pin dowel joint and bolt on necks on all my DRY builds. Several of these guitars are still in the family after more then 30 years and they play and sound pretty darn good! I have one more completed Mahogany DRY body in storage -- some day it will belong to one of the grand children. Note the super wide compesated saddle (ala Don Teeter), Guild style bridge, and the dowel rod in the heel -- reinforcement for bolt-on conversion.

Last edited by kencierp on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

Ken: Looks like we traveled along the same path for a while. Also used Slone's neck joint and still use Teeter's wide saddle. Now use a mortise and tenon on the neck. Very nice guitar there by the way. I'm sure your grandchildren will be pleased with the one in storage. Made me feel good to see when you have been and to see your guitar. Take care.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Thanks Tom its an "oldie but a goodie" I sold all our David Russel Young forms and molds on EBay a couple of years ago so maybe someone is still building DRY's?

Yeah there's tid bits in all the books and publications -- during my automotive career I funtioned as a Production Manager. Most of my assignments were hinged on my background as a "Best Pratice Engineer" (copy the things that work best) So coming up with a practical and repeatable guitar assemble method
http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/kitmanual.html by sorting out the good from the sometimes rediculious processes was only natural.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Rick I agree there is plenty of very good material in the book -- however, any engineer will find glaring problems with the over all process. Staring with not using a mold or form and ending with instructions showing how to install the bridge in the wrong place -- uncompensated? And the juggling act to get the bridge in the specifed location -- Lordy? On the other hand I realy like the explaination of the design envolope proportions.

KInkead uses a much easier approach (plus more power tools and fixtures) -- but there are math errors in that publication as well. Bottom line is that anybody that really has the guitar making bug should and most likey will get their hands on all info related to the subject. The thread stated with my opinion, my expectation is we'll see other opinions. Newbies hooking up with guys like you and John Hall is also good advice --- but I remember how much $$ I had when starting out. The difference now is that reading material is available -- luthiers back in 1963 would share ZERO information. Sloane's book was a God sent!
Herman

Post by Herman »

Both Cumpiano and Kinkead are great books and worth the money. Cumpiano is nice if you want to dive into theory and choices around guitarbuilding. Kinkead is a more "how to built"-book. Very practical. So if you want to start as fast as posiible, go with Kinkead. If you have time and money buy both. The two are very easy to read.

PS 1. Somogyi on the other hand is quite tough for me since I'm foreign. But his views are pleasantly teasing.
2. Siminoff did not inspire me at all. But I know he did others.

Just my view and 2ct
Herman
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

The Cumpiano book is what I first stumbled onto and bought. It is what convinced me I could build a guitar. That it was just a series of small calculated steps. Though I did not follow that process, I did use it to help me understand the fuzzy places in the book I did use. I will always keep it around I'm sure I will refer to it regularly.
I did not particularly like the Kinkead book.
I found the most useful to be Robert O'Brien's guitar making DVD. It was much more clear and detailed than any of the books I had.
I also recently read Somogyi's books. Both are very good (though not without errors either). One is a theory and one is a building book. I don't believe I could have built a guitar with only Somogyi's books; at least not without a lot of studying. The building book is not a step-by-step hand-holding book. I.e., there was not any "Now insert tab A into slot B" which is what I needed at that point. But after you have built one I think the info is invaluable to understand the goal of each step and how they all fit together to effect the sound.

Eddie