'nother L-OO

darren

Re: 'nother L-OO

Post by darren »

Thanks John. It is zpoxy - looks pretty flat right now because I just went over the b/s with the green 3m pad, which takes all the shine off.

I will be using behlen's rockhard, this is my 3rd time with it. Might just truoil the neck though, I'm concerned about brushing a finish and getting the slots 'perfect'.
Darren
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Darren, the guitar looks great! It has that old school look with the purfling you chose, nice.
Slacker......
darren

Post by darren »

I'm always amazed when the first coat of finish goes on. not quite as good as stringing her up, but right up there.
finish.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Oh yeah, I love to see that wood under a finish. It is going to be purty!

Kevin
darren

Post by darren »

Well I put the neck and strings on last night. I have to finish rounding over the nut, bring the saddle down a hair, then play it for a while. The neck needs to be refinished as I sanded through at the heelcap and around the headstock slots. So it will come off, get stripped and I'll start the waiting game again.

It sounds great - my best yet. Loud loud loud. Fretboard sits tight against the top, and heel fits nice...Intonation is great without fiddleing around with the saddle at all - right now its only rounded off. I think I'll move the breaking edge for the B back but leave the rest alone. Other than the finish issues I'm a real happy guy.

My nine-year-old approves.:)
finished-001.jpg
finished-004.jpg
I'll have glamor shots someday after the neck is fixed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I really like what you have accomplished Darren. Beautiful. I am half in love with that headstock treatment; I'll be starting a slot head here in a week or so and will no doubt shamelessly steal some of your ideas.
Very nice.
darren

Post by darren »

Only half in love Dave? :) go ahead and borrow what you want - not a single original idea on this guitar.
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Good job Darren, the redo on the neck will go fine, just do it and get'er done.

I have not yet done a slothead....guess I will when I do the crossover. What do you guys like about them vs post tuners?

Kevin
darren

Post by darren »

Thank You Kevin!

Slotheads are cool. that's about it. I like it enough to be doing another one in rock maple already. :) !!

They are harder to cut, finish, string up etc.

Maybe they have less weight than a paddle head, I'm not sure. This was a 13 fret join, the maple one is a 12 fret join, so it will be hard to compare to my 14 fretters.
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Great looking guitar. I liked the bound slotted head stock. Looks like a great size for your son! Does he play?