'nother L-OO

darren

Re: 'nother L-OO

Post by darren »

Kevin,
This is my first time using it and so far I really like it.
Darren
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I made one and didn't do such a hot job of it.....I need to make another one. That one looks pretty good.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
darren

Post by darren »

Ken Hundley wrote:I made one and didn't do such a hot job of it.....I need to make another one. That one looks pretty good.
It's ok, not perfect. This one is for a 13 deg. slothead so I will be making another for my 15 deg. solid headstock necks. I don't have a table saw or bandsaw, and my skill saw literally died making this one... so the next will really be a challenge! But seriously, there's 5$ of material in this and a little bit of time. It sure beats clamping to the workbench and constantly having to move the clamps around.
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I'm trying to think of a way to clamp that neck blank to the buck without clamps that get in the way. Perhaps some cutouts down about 1" from the top of the buck, holes drilled for some screws, and screw right up into the blank...hmmmmmm..........fret board will cover the screw holes made, but what about the truss rod slot.......hhmmmmm, might not have to go very deep with the screw to hold it....hmmmmmmm
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Robbie O'brien has plans available for a jig for cutting both the mortise and tenon. I'm thinking about getting those and trying to build the thing so I can step up in the world of lutherie.

Kevin
I got one of those a couple weeks ago (edit: actually now that I look at this date, about the time you posted this) and it is now together. I've made my practice cuts and it works pretty good. I even made some of my own templates to come closer to matching the Martin style dove tail. The one supplied is different. I ran into a few issues while building it and would have done things a little different had I known. All-in-all a god learning experience, can't wait to put it into use on my own first scratch neck.
Tim Benware
darren

Post by darren »

Thought I'd post an update: Some of you know my neck is trashed; new blank is in the mail, and I'll be starting that process over this weekend. I did, though, get the bridge ready. other than that the soundboard has a coat of shellac on it and i'm ready to porefill and finish the body.

I arched the bottom of the bridge with a scraper and then sandpaper on the soundboard, pretty standard stuff. then out to the garage with the hand held belt sander - some of you will get a kick out of this shot. It works though! just need a taller fence next time for a little more security.
bridge-009.png
bridge-012.png
bridge-014.png
thanks for reading...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Darren

Laying the sander on it's side is a great idea! Clever set-up way to go.
darren

Post by darren »

Well thank you Ken. you know what they say about the blind squirrel...

I've been working on the second neck - and making the slotting fixture. here are the results - I'm pretty happy with it, and happy that this step is behind me. I actually like the lines on this second headstock better.
headstock-030.jpg
edit: ummm yeah the tuners are on the wrong sides but you get the idea. oops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
darren

Post by darren »

boy have I been neglecting this thread and guitar... I'm done with porefilling, just need to locate the bridge, prep the top for finish and start that process. I got sidetracked with starting a maple/sitka parlor but now I'm kind of itching to hear this one.
porefill-005.jpg
porefill-003.jpg
porefill-002.jpg
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Darren,

That is a great looking guitar. I play a classical so that 00 body size would be perfect for me. How did you pore fill and how are you going to finish the guitar.