'nother L-OO

darren

'nother L-OO

Post by darren »

I started working on my next guitar, another L-OO. It is East Indian Rosewood with a WRC top and Madrose trimmings. I think this will be a gift for a friend... So this will be the first guitar that will leave my house permanently. It's already tough to think about (this is my 4th scratch guitar).

Here is a shot of the bindings, with a maple side purf (glued on with ca)I think this was shown here before...
purfs-001.jpg
Bent by hand and resting in ½ of John’s mold.
bentbinding-001.png
I’ve thicknessed the fingerboard to 8mm, marked the frets out (2x…nut end wasn’t square…grrrr), and slotted and tapered it. No pictures, I must have been in the groove. It will be bound in Mad Rose with a thin Maple purf. Waiting on the purfs so it gets set aside...
fretboard1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by darren on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
darren

Re: 'nother L-OO

Post by darren »

I started on the bridge while waiting for the rest of the wood to come in. Started by squaring out the bridge blank, and it looks like I can get two of the small, square Gibson bridges out of this blank.

It gets cut in half
bridge-001.png
And squared again
bridge-002.png
Marked out for the slot and pin holes
bridge-002b.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

This is fun to watch - thanks for posting :-)
darren

Post by darren »

Slotting with my Laminate Trimmer setup
bridge-005.png
The blocks to the left and right of the trimmer act as stops and the edge guide holds the trimmer against the 'rail' closest to the camera (above). There's nowhere for the trimmer to go except where I want it to go - if everything's clamped down right!
bridge-003.png
I do not have a 'well equipped' shop. everything does double duty as something else, except very specific jigs like my slotting jig. At one and a half guitars a year, I can afford some set up time here and there. (Hopefully this one will be done by Christmas, though.)
Anyway, Here they are drilled and slotted.
bridge-007.png
The next step is to contour the bottom and carve the ‘wings’; I need to have the body and neck constructed first to know what height this one needs to be at. I have a target height but I think it’s safer to wait. I’ll flip the bridge over, plane/scrape to approximate height, and then set the contour. Which one to use? Straight or angle pin holes?
Last edited by darren on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
darren

Post by darren »

deadedith wrote:This is fun to watch - thanks for posting :-)
Thanks Dave, We all have different ways of doing things, and I agree, it's nice to see these come to life. I don't build from kits, but some of these process might help someone, somewhere, try make their own bridge or what-have-you.
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Darren,

Thanks you for posting such detailed photos, I love seeing how other build their jigs and use their tools.

John
darren

Post by darren »

johnnparchem wrote:Darren,

Thanks you for posting such detailed photos, I love seeing how other build their jigs and use their tools.

John
Mostly I build my jigs from scrap laying around, so they aren't too pretty! A lot of old bunk bed pieces were 're-purposed'. And you can see those stops were used a few months ago to test a binding ledge depth... so I'm not kidding when I say everything does double duty.
Darren
David L

Post by David L »

Sounds like some good wood choices. Like everyone else mentioned, superb documentation, well appreciated!

David L
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

Here, here, excellent post! Very informative for those of us (those of me...) still on build #1.

A silly aside; I have a bunk bed, too, which my dad made for us many, many, years ago. Now my bother and I (former users of said bed) are building guitars, and I plan a "bunk bed guitar" made from our old bed. Dad will enjoy seeing the wood repurposed in this way.

Continue, Darren!
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Thank for the post Darren. I like your bridge jig. I can't wait to see this L-00 come together. I'm going to build some small guitars soon.
Alain