Where to Buy Quilted Maple?

kencierp

Re: Cook Woods Complaint; Where to Buy Quilted Maple?

Post by kencierp »

Off the track a bit -- but there is no way they or any other wood supplier would know if you wiped the surface with a solvent such as lacquer thinner or naphtha its how we all check for grain pattern etc. It does not effect the wood and evaporates completely -- misting the surface of the wood with water shows you nothing, its soaking the surface with solvent that reveals the visual personality. Also, its makes no difference what a merchant's policy "even stated" might be -- if the goods are not as promised or advertised your Credit Card company will more often then not make sure you get a refund or fair compensation.
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Selling highly figured wood without photos of the actual board is a recipe for unhappy customers. He has some actual sets of beautiful figured Maple pictured on his site. I would get him to swap it out for something he can photo and allow you to approve. If not, take the wood back with the understanding that you will plane/scrape a section smooth and test with MS. If it doesn't compare with other 5A Quilted Maple from comparable vendors (Zootman, Gilmer, etc) you will be expecting a refund. He can't expect to stay in business long with that Customer Service policy unless you have caused it somehow.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I live about an hour's drive from Klamath Falls, where Cook is located. I'd not heard of him before yesterday, but now I am really interested to see - in person - what he's offering. I will try to go early next week, and if there is anything you would like me to look for, let me know and I will. I'll take a camera with me.
Logan

Post by Logan »

I was erring on the side of caution in not mucking around with the wood I received too much. As of today, I am getting a refund, so I'm content. In the future if I'm unsure about a piece, I'll give it a good wipe, but I was told the piece I received would look like the photo on their website when finished, which is not what I was expecting regardless (the picture on their website wasn't labeled and I had ordered on the assumption that the pictured set of wood was their fiddleback maple featured on the same page - my mistake).

Cook Woods actually has amazingly good reviews on eBay and the sets they individually picture always look enticing, so I'm sure going there to pick something out will be great.

The problem I seem to encounter with maple and other domestic choices is that they are seldom if ever individually pictured by any seller since they aren't typically high dollar items, hence the recommendations being welcomed with open arms.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I bought a lot of figured wood from Cook and never had a problem. Sometimes things happen .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com