slotted headstock dimensions?

darren

slotted headstock dimensions?

Post by darren »

Anyone have some dimensions of a standard Martin-style slotted headstock they'd be willing to share? I've been digging around the old www with no luck. I have Cumpiano's dims for a classical from his book but wonder if the taper of the headstock changes at all for SS.

I think I need the width of the slot (5/8?) width of the headstock at both ends of the taper and where to start and end the slot.

If not, the MacRostie/000 plans have specs but I'd hate to pay shipping for just that...

Thanks in advance for anyone who can point me in the right direction, and if I find them, I'll definitely share them here.
Darren
johnnparchem

Re: slotted headstock dimensions?

Post by johnnparchem »

I am out of town or I would measure the plans I have. One note, the LMI slotting jig uses the same slot width and length for both classical and steel sting. The tuning machine holes are different sizes and possible spaced differently.
darren

Post by darren »

John, I'm not in a hurry, so anytime you get settled down again I'd love to see those dims. I have my 3-on-a-plate tuners so that will dictate the tuner hole size/spacing. Good to know about the slotting jig.
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

My Martin like Parlor plans have a 1/2 inch slot width. My classical has a 5/8 slot width. I have a set of Waverly steel string tuning machines and a set of classical tuning machines. The tuning posts on the classical are 1/8 of an inch longer than the steel string. A 1/2 inch slot looks right. If you are carefull with the slot placement a 5/8 slot looks like it would work as well.