This Set Suitable for Bending?

johnnparchem

Re: This Set Suitable for Bending?

Post by johnnparchem »

Darryl,

I am sure your are going to post pictures on how a resenator goes together? I am really looking for to watching this guitar get built. THe wood loks real good.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I really appreciate that feedback Ken, John, and Rick!

I bought the 6 piece set for $175. It was the last set he had out of this particular Claro walnut tree.

Darren, I have ordered a bender from John Hall. He is making the bender now so I won't have it for a week or two.......but that's what I plan on using to bend the set. The interesting question is what body will I use for the squareneck resonator?......00?, 000?, the traditional shape of a Dobro, or my own convuluted rendition. Seems these days a deeper and larger body is the trend........even a lot of dreadnaught shaped instruments being built. The shallow waist of a dreadnaught fits the body nice when standing and playing. I've wanted to build a "baby dread" guitar that has the shape of a dreadnaught and the size of a 000.......so it's crossed my mind to use that shape for a resonator. Supposedly the larger/deeper body helps the bottom end on a resonator (at least when built using post and baffles instead of a sound well).
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

johnnparchem wrote:Darryl,

I am sure your are going to post pictures on how a resenator goes together? I am really looking for to watching this guitar get built. THe wood loks real good.
Ok, I will John. I'm no resonator expert.......but I'm studying. I honestly doubt the wood choice has a large impact on resonator tone (as I'm thinking most of the sound comes from the resonator cone). But I'm guessing it influences the tone somewhat. It does seem that in general mahogany resonators sound warmer and those built with more dense woods have a little more sparkle. There was a gentlemen in Oklahoma named RQ Jones that built some great sounding reonator guitars out of Black Walnut from the Ozarks and since walnut is a good density compromise between mahogany and rosewood, we decided to give walnut a try. Just happened to find this 6 piece set of Claro so we are trying it.

I will probably try post and baffle construction rather than traditional soundwell construction. At least that's the way I'm leaning right now.
Slacker......