Bending sides

tippie53

Re: Bending sides

Post by tippie53 »

what thickness are you doing it at ? This is a skill that takes some time to learn. I used to use the pipe but went to machines 10 yrs ago . I still will touch up a cutaway if I have to but keep up and you will soon master this art . I am sure you soon find more info .
you tube will have some videos for sure and soon the guys will post some info for you
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Practice - practice - practice, I suggest Rosewood (.075-.085) for a first bending project, it's very for giving. I would stay away from Mahogany, especially Sapele and African. The cross linking grain in those woods cause cupping, moving sections of the side away from the pipe, too much or too little water can lead to instant cracks where not expected. It takes plenty of heat -- enough to burn the wood so you must keep it moving. Also, bending a tight curve without a back strip (thin SS or aluminum) is extremely difficult. The process can be rewarding it you really take your time to do it correctly.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

One thing I can add is that Red or White oak makes good practice wood and is not too expensive.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

Runningdog wrote: Also, you have to heat a somewhat larger area than where the bend it -- at the waist, for example, you may only want a bend over a 5" area but you should heat 7" or 8" to get that smooth bend.
+1

Once this was explained to me my bending was much more successful. I was 'rocking' the side on the iron when I should have been rubbing a larger area across the iron. The wood will tell you when it's ready, if you're paying attention, and hotter is better than cooler, in my experience. I'm certainly no pro though. (only got 3 sets of sides, 3 sets of bindings under my belt)
Darren
Herman

Post by Herman »

Ken is right. For my cuurent guitar I bent some Sapele sides. They turned out real nice without kinks etc. But it was quite tough to bend. EI Rosewood was the easiest wood for me to manage.
Go slow, feel the wood giving way and don't push too hard.
Good luck
Herman
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Brian,
I am no expert here, but just to share my limited experience.
I have bent 3 sets of sides, all different woods, on an electric pipe.
One Palo Escrito, one cocobolo, and one Macauaba (we think).
They all responded a little differently on the iron, but what I did find worked really well with all three was to keep a very wet rag on the iron, and to bend on top of that. It keeps the steam going into the wood. I discovered that it really didn't help me alot to either soak, or spritz the side,( I tried soaking the Palo Escrito, and spritzing the Coco) but keeping the rag wet (spray bottle) made a big difference. I too have kept the iron as hot as I can get it, which is around 350 degrees. The rag also helps keep the oils off the iron.
Just another idea that might help you with your bending, and I can't see how it can do any harm. I've had pretty smooth bends.

Kevin

Kevin