My first Mandolin

General Information about Building Kit Mandolins
gitarrenmacher

My first Mandolin

Post by gitarrenmacher »

Here are some pics from my last real kit instrument.
It´s made from a saga kit. Unfortunatly I have no pics about the building process, only some before and after finish.
I have tapped the top with the SIMINOFF method. The mando sounds nice, has good trebles on the higher frets and a really good chop.

The saga kit is perfect for the first steps in instrument building and also I have build some dozen guitars before, it was a great pleasure to make this little beauty.
Unfortunatly my mandolin playing isn´t very good, but I sold the instrument for a resonable price to a celtic folk player.

Regards
Chris

First 3 pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gitarrenmacher

Re: My first Mandolin

Post by gitarrenmacher »

Here´s the next three.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gitarrenmacher

Post by gitarrenmacher »

And some details.
Thanks for looking

Chris
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Nice finish work. I like the sunburst.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I agree with John......you did a nice job on the burst. Did it sound nice? Have a good bark like the old Gibson mandolins? I've wondered how well the Siminoff tuning works to duplicate the old Loyd Loar sound.
Slacker......
gitarrenmacher

Post by gitarrenmacher »

Darryl Young wrote:I agree with John......you did a nice job on the burst. Did it sound nice? Have a good bark like the old Gibson mandolins? I've wondered how well the Siminoff tuning works to duplicate the old Loyd Loar sound.

unfortunatly I am not an expert in mandolins and so I´m not able to compare with the old Gibsons. Sorry.
While tuning the top, I found out, that the original SAGA is much to thick near the sides. So I carved it like the old german archtops.
The player, who bought it says, that the mando has a very fast attack and is beautifull for folk-and trad. music.

The finish is translucend coloured nitro. I´ve made the sunburst with a SATA minijet spraygun.
It is my first sunburst finish, and it was easyer than I thought.
Greetz
Chris