Kit mandolin

General Information about Building Kit Mandolins
Freeman

Kit mandolin

Post by Freeman »

Every one needs to build a mandolin. Just one, it will make you appreciate building guitars. One fourth the size, four times the work

Darryl Young

Re: Kit mandolin

Post by Darryl Young »

Very nice Freeman! I would love to build one......some day. The thought of binding all those intricate curves is intimidating. You sure picked nice wood......or was it a kit? If a kit, where did you get it? How does it sound?
Slacker......
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

Is that a stewmac kit? I've been extremely interested in them, but I'll wait until I finish up my first year of school of my guitar building/repair program before giving it a shot. I bought a cheap 50 dollar rogue mandolin from Musicians Friends (Which I highly recommend for the price) and it was a trial run to see if I'd like or would appreciate a mandolin, and I most definitely did.

Next step is either a F style mandolin kit, or a scratch simpler version.

-Dan
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

It is a Roger Siminoff kit and I would suggest Roger for anything related to the mandolin family. I had done a built thread and one on the sunburst process at the old forum. I used a Dremel for both scroll shaping and for routing the binding channels (with the SM attachment). The binding has a couple of flaws - oh well.

I'm not much of a mando player but it sounds good to me. Siminoff is a scholar on Lloyd Loar's work and I tried to follow his advice on tuning the tone bars and top. I had the pleasure of sitting in a seminar by Roger at the GAL convention where he talks about his tap tuning methods.

Just wanted to kick off this topic and get folks inspired.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Very nice! I like the sunburst, especially how the colors read on the neck, back and the sides. I have been struggling getting a sunburst I can accept on a gibson style electric guitar. Now I know I need to keep at it.

John
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

Thanks John. There is some great information in Dan Erlewine's book on guitar finishing as well as Siminoff's on mandolins. Here was a thread that I posted on the old forum

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/forum/th ... 65_0_7_0_C