Tuning a Uke

General Information about Building Kit Ukuleles
darren

Tuning a Uke

Post by darren »

So I put a couple uke kits together with my boys, and we have tuning issues. I don't know the first thing about ukuleles so be gentle.

When we tune up to pitch the strings either stretch or the tuners spin to lower the pitch. We can't keep the strings at pitch, if that makes sense. How tight do you tighten the tuner screws?
Darren

Re: Tuning a Uke

Post by   »

With mine, I get the stretch out of the strings, tune to pitch and then tighten the screw sufficiently to stay in pitch. Repeat as needed. It was a process that took a few days.

tommy
Valleyisle

Post by Valleyisle »

A new reply with an 'old school' theory. If we did'nt score a nylon fishing line for free, then the newly purchased ukulele strings still required some 'breaking in.' How we did it was take apart a contributed wooden close pin and take both ends wrapped and begin a 'chest pull a couple of times taking note of the nylon line actually strectching an inch plus. It was good to go for the session and making note to stretch it overnight using the friction pegs to do the work till morning. It always worked for us....hope this helps some.
darren

Post by darren »

Thanks for that... I think some of the stretch had to work out of the strings, plus cranking down the tuners helped (much tighter than I felt comfortable with initially), plus a few less wraps around the tuner. Kids are strumming away now and they are at least tolerably close to being in tune. :)
Darren