Side bending machine plans

YouTube, PDF and any Internet tutuorials
kredwards

Side bending machine plans

Post by kredwards »

In the past, I have seen detailed plans and instructions on how to build a side bending machine. The heat source was a bank of light bulbs. Has anyone seen something like this?

Kent
kencierp

Re: Side bending machine plans

Post by kencierp »

We no longer sell these I leave it out there for thought starters

Also "Google" jones side bender he has a very simple unit design never build one without a timer and make sure it has a waist support bar for anything tighter than a "D" size profile
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I will not sell a light bulb bender . There have been at least 4 homes that were burned down from them. Please use a blanket for your own safety.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kredwards

Post by kredwards »

Thanks for the warning, John. Not only would I be out of a home, but the guitars would be lost too. Unless I really get into building a lot of guitars, it might be best to just have the sides bent for me, though it would be fun to try it.

Kent
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you can try making the bending pipe , there are plenty of plans for them. I do custom bending if you need that service.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Kevin S (Ithink it was Kev) made a pipe bender, but rather than a torch, used an electric charcoal lighter. Worked great! Might be a little safer than an open flame, especially with a router controller to help control temperature. I made one too, just haven't tried it with the router controller.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yes, I have a home made electric pipe bender, and it works great. The diameter of the pipe is fine for a dred, but is too big for the waist on an OM or smaller guitar, so I will have to use a smaller pipe (and torch) to get the smaller radius bend. I used a dimmer switch to control the temp, which works fine, however I have found that full on works best to get enough heat for my set up. A thinner wall pipe you would probably need to turn the heat down. My pipe is 1/4" wall aluminum.
It only cost about $20 to make, I would recommend it to anyone. There is nothing like feeling and smelling the wood as it gives and bends. I don't think I will ever use a bending machine.

Ken, I've seen pictures of Macacuaba that have the same red and tan sapwood coloring, just not the wild grain. Wish I new "for sure"!!!
It is however, rare. Have you ever seen any wood like it, before or since?????

Kevin
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

No I haven't, and I love working with it! It machines and scrapes beautifully. It is a little oily on a saw blade, but luckily, we don't do that much sawing on them. Smells like coconut when it works, and scraping the fresh wood radically brings the color out! I will have to do one final scrape on it before putting any coating to ensure I get the best color presentation. Should look great with a wild tulipwood fingerboard and flamed maple binding!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan