Topic Icon

Ask questions about the phpBB forum software. Any questions on the use of the new forum software can be asked here.
naccoachbob

Topic Icon

Post by naccoachbob »

Sean,
I remember you explaining that a topic icon will be filled in when there is something new there.
When I see that there's something new at Guitar Building Procedures, I go into the topics by clicking on the small icon so that it takes me to the latest post that I haven't read.
However, when I exhaust all the posts that I have not yet seen, and back out of that section, I still have the filled icon telling me there are unread posts.
It doesn't happen with any of the other forum areas, just the Building Procedures section.
Also (and I'm a computer tech and this drives me wild) it's not something that occurs every time. But it happens frequently.
I know those are the very hardest to diagnose, and it doesn't inhibit functionality, but is one of those small annoyances.
Bob
seanbig

Re: Topic Icon

Post by seanbig »

Bob,

Are you "backing out" of the thread by using the back arrow in your browser? If so, it might not be retrieving the page from the server and just showing you the page you saw before.

Also, sometimes when new posts in a thread span into a new page, if you don't go to the next page the icon will still show that you have unread posts.

If it's neither of those scenarios, I would have to know how to reproduce the problem.

Sean
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net
Bigger Room Productions - Web Design for any size project.

When You're Workin' on Somethin' Good
You're Gonna Need a Bigger Room
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Yes, I always back out of all the pages.
I'll refresh the previous page next time and see if that helps.
But I back out of all the sections the same way.
I'll give it a try.
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

Interesting. Yes, let me know what the results are.
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net

naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Sean, this just came up again with the Trading Post section, and the Guitars topic under it. The Guitars topic shows a colored icon indicating an unread post in it.
There is a post showing on the right side from "Bill Kelman" and a date of Jan 5, 2011. Clicking the post icon on the right side of the Board Index shows that the post is not there. Clicking on the Guitar section takes me to that section, of course, but doesn't show any posts since 30 Dec, 2010. I can click to get out of that page either by going back, or clicking on "Board Index" at the top of the page, or even using another Favorite of mine. If I come back, I still see a colored icon showing a new post there.
I check this board from home and from the office, and get the colored icon every time.
It's been this way for at least a week.
I'm not concerned, just giving a FYI about it.
Hope I explained it well.
Bob
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

Bob,

Thanks for the heads up. I think I've now figured out what had previously been the problem. When a new member makes his or her first post on the forum, it does not show until the post has been approved.

The thread you mentioned was started by a new member that has not had two posts approved yet and his posts are not viewable.

This is to prevent spammers from littering the forum with unwanted posts. I am not certain I will be able to change the behavior of that icon without allowing spammers, but I will take a look at it.

Sean
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net