"Unread Posts" icon ?

Ask questions about the phpBB forum software. Any questions on the use of the new forum software can be asked here.
Jim_H

"Unread Posts" icon ?

Post by Jim_H »

Sean (or anyone who may know).

I'm kinda OCD about logging and reading 'unread' posts. Unfortunately, something strange is going on where the icon will be orange, indicating there are unread messages in a sub-forum, but when I go into that forum, all of the messages (at least the ones I can see) are read.

I wonder if this is related to new posters being moderated, or if it's just a quirk?

Edit:
Just to add a bit to this.

As I post this, there are four forums that have the orange 'unread posts' icon. However, if I click the 'View Unread Posts' link at the top, there are no posts listed.

After creating this post, the 'unread message' icon was showing, but there were no unread messages in the forum.

Perhaps is has something to do with my own posts ?
My poorly maintained "Blog"
MuddyFox

Re: "Unread Posts" icon ?

Post by MuddyFox »

I get the same thing occasionally.
But then I just click "mark all forums as read" and the problem goes away for a week or so.
It doesn't bother me enough to start a thread about it but if we are doing a show of hands, here's mine.

EDIT: also, the problem seems to crop up more often when I open multiple subforums in many tabs in Firefox. Maybe a cookie handling glitch?
David L

Post by David L »

Me too!

David L
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

Jim,

These are SPAM posts that have not been disapproved or deleted yet. I have looked into having them not show up as unread posts, but had no quick solution to that. I am hoping that this becomes less of a problem after I have modified the registration process to cut down on SPAM altogether.
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net
Bigger Room Productions - Web Design for any size project.

When You're Workin' on Somethin' Good
You're Gonna Need a Bigger Room
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Also, there's at least one group of vikings that like spam.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Sean,

Thanks for looking into it. It's not a big deal at all. like i said, if I use the 'view unread posts' link, I get what I need to satisfy my OCD.

I just thought I'd mention it.

Jim
My poorly maintained "Blog"