Posting small sound files?

Ask questions about the phpBB forum software. Any questions on the use of the new forum software can be asked here.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Posting small sound files?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

So the mp3 when I click on it does not give me an option to play it, it gives me an option to save it, which I did. Then I was prompted to open, and it opened in Media Player and played. The Quicktime file does not play.
So now the question is if we want to post a sound file, is there any particular format it has to be in, or can't be in?

Kevin
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

I am still working on getting the MP3's to stream inline. As of right now they are attachments as links and every browser handles them differently. Some browsers have players and some have plugins. If you get the Quicktime plugin, they should play. No matter what browser you have, you should be able to download the MP3 and play it on your computer's music player.

So far I have only been testing MP3's and I do not know if any other file types will work at all. I would try to use MP3 because it is the standard and most popular type of music file. If the solution is easy for other file types and there are other file types people would like, I will certainly implement those as well.
Last edited by seanbig on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional Paragraph
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net
Bigger Room Productions - Web Design for any size project.

When You're Workin' on Somethin' Good
You're Gonna Need a Bigger Room
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Hey Kevin,

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I thought I would mention that the plugin message you are getting is (or can be) normal. In order to play a media file that is embedded in a webpage within your browser, you need some kind of 'plugin' for your browser. Different types of files will work differently, and may require different plugins.
My poorly maintained "Blog"