Supply chain problems and the future of the kit guitar industry

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
koolimy

Supply chain problems and the future of the kit guitar industry

Post by koolimy »

Hi, I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on the supply chain problems that the US (and probably other parts of the world) is facing right now. I heard that there have been dramatic shortages of lumber and I was wondering how it will affect our favorite hobby. Has the lumber shortage started to affect providers of acoustic guitar kits and/or providers of tonewoods? Does it have the potential to affect them down the line? I just finished my first guitar and I have caught the bug, so to speak. I am hoping that I can still pursue this hobby in the future but the supply chain shortages all around the US have been quite scary.
tippie53

Re: Supply chain problems and the future of the kit guitar industry

Post by tippie53 »

not really the wood industry supply like plywood has caused me to have to raise prices on my molds and things
as the price has tripled but the kit materials are still available
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Just guessing, I doubt it. My guess is that tonewoods are totally outside the normal lumber industry supply chain. I doubt tonewood suppliers reduced production in anticipation less demand, or anything like that...but that's total speculation.

FWIW I just got an email from Rare Woods USA and their prices for guitar backs and sides seemed to be about the same as they have been.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

Thanks for the replies! Didn't mean to tread into your business just was worried about the state of the world right now. Apologies if I crossed a line. It's good to hear that the kit material and tonewood side hasn't been affected too much. Hope the situation gets better for the rest of the world.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

no apologies needed it is a viable question
it is also good to know that Martin is having issues as is gibson and have backlogs that are going take years to catch up on. that is because there were so many orders. they do have some supply issues but this will iron out as the pandemic releases it grip on some of the international trade
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

tippie53 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:45 am no apologies needed it is a viable question
it is also good to know that Martin is having issues as is gibson and have backlogs that are going take years to catch up on. that is because there were so many orders. they do have some supply issues but this will iron out as the pandemic releases it grip on some of the international trade
Thanks. Didn't know Martin and Gibson were going through some problems as well.