John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Re: Ed Minch

Post by jread »

Sad and shocked to hear this. My sincere condolences to his family. Ed and his daughter Mamie true heroes of mine and inspirations to me.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Oh no. I'm so very sorry. I'll miss him.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Thanks, John.

we all can do with as much community and empathy as we can muster.
peter havriluk
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

Wow, I can't believe that he has passed. He was one of the first people to reach out to me when I was thinking about building a kit guitar and he has been very friendly and encouraging in all his interactions with me. It wasn't even that long ago that he was replying to a thread of mine and being active on this forum so his passing seems quite sudden. I don't really know him but from my short experiences he seemed like a kind man. Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I posted this sad news over on OLF. We've lost a great craftsman. RIP Ed.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Ed was always generous with his time and knowledge, as all of us on this forum probably know. His modesty hid a depth of knowledge. I particularly enjoyed his builds documented on Flickr. Many pics and more importantly plenty if detailed captions to explain the what and the why. He seemed to know what the beginner needed to know.

In one forum thread on humidity, a mention of baltimore prompted Ed to suggest a meetup at his shop. Myself, Kyle and one other I can recall the name, showed up. He made us lunch and then down to his shop to see how he works. He may have only been on his 3rd guitar at the time, but he was already an accomplished woodworker and old tool collector.

I'd also frequently see him at the annual PATINA tool sale. He had a table or blanket with tools for sale, but has real reason for being their was to meet people and discuss old tools. He was a real people person.

He left behind a lot of information packed into his documented guitar builds. Pictures of his guitar builds, and all of his other interests can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 2058563598

Here's a nice remembrance and tribute to his hard work and generosity.

https://chestertownspy.org/2021/07/29/r ... -ed-minch/

Mitch
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Thank you for posting this. My initial thought after Ed's passing was how willingly he shared his knowledge, and his pride in his crafts, and in his family. This turned quickly to regret that I did not get to know him better than that. Your post has told more of Ed's story, one of a life well lived. Bruce W.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Oh my goodness. I just saw this. Ed helped me a lot with my hand planes over the years. It was never a bother to him to ask questions, and he seemed to often have the parts I needed. I've enjoyed him on the forum and although I don't find much time these days to post, I will miss him sharing with us all. My prayers for his daughter and the rest of his family. I would have enjoyed meeting him in person and seeing the sailing ship he loved to work on.

Kevin
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Here's the local commemoration for Ed. What a guy! https://chestertownspy.org/2021/07/29/r ... -ed-minch/.