Happy Thanksgiving to All

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Diane Kauffmds

Happy Thanksgiving to All

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. This is going to be a very strange holiday season. I hope everyone stays safe. Hang in there guys.

I'm striving for some sort of normalcy right now. Between Frank's stroke and this pandemic, it's been a pretty crappy couple of months. Although I almost decided no tree this year, I decided that maybe this year, it's more important than ever, to celebrate what we do have, and to find things in which to be thankful.

So, I'm thankful for this forum and the truly wonderful people that I've been privileged to associate. Every one of you is a blessing.

I put the tree up, although it's not decorated yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

Also, our little zebra finches laid 8 eggs a couple of weeks ago. The first baby was born night before last. 3 hatched last night. One chick is just beginning to make his way into the world tonight.

The finches are George and Gracie.
PicsArt_11-24-11.05.55.jpg
PicsArt_11-24-11.09.34.jpg
PicsArt_11-24-11.16.20.jpg
PicsArt_11-24-11.04.45.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Re: Happy Thanksgiving to All

Post by phavriluk »

Thanks, Diane. And the finches - - - a treat!
peter havriluk
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Happy Thanksgiving, Diane.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

hope you all have a the best of the season and that you have a great thanksgiving. I am glad so many find this forum fun and share so much information.
I hope your birds are part of this. I would love to see them grow.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The finch babies are hatching at a rate of about 1 per day. It seems to take about 12-14 hours for a baby to hatch. This morning, at about 6am, the egg that I noticed yesterday early evening, had not opened yet. I checked again at about 11:30, and here was a tiny wet newborn. This is baby #5. #6 is on its way. I can see holes starting in an egg.

George and Gracie laid 8 eggs in total, a lot for finches. We'll have to wait and see if all 8 are viable.

Ricky and Lucy had laid 4 eggs, before George and Gracie. We expected them to hatch a week ago. I noticed a new egg in their nest a couple of days ago. Since then, she's laid at least 3 more eggs. I can't get an accurate count, but there are at least 7 eggs in their nest.

Long story on the birds. We had an empty flight cage, so I decided to get a couple of finches (George and Gracie). Zebra finches are a type of society finch, so they do better with "friends". I decided to get 2 more (flight cage is really big). I brought them home and George and Gracie kept dive bombing them.

While we were buying Ricky and Lucy, Gracie laid an egg. She and George were defending their nest. So, Ricky and Lucy ended up in their own cage, with their nest.

No, I'm not purposely breeding finches! They're just happy birds. Anyone close enough to Parkersburg, WV, who want a couple of zebra finches, when their old enough, send me a message!

I take a lot of photos, so you'll see them from the time they're born. The eggs are about the size of an average jellybean. So, you can imagine how tiny they are at birth.
PicsArt_11-25-02.36.46.jpg
PicsArt_11-25-02.36.19.jpg
PicsArt_09-07-04.10.52.jpg
PicsArt_11-25-03.15.35.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
jread

Post by jread »

I love the Pikachu looking finches. Happy Holidays!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

20201128_124431.jpg
20201128_124459.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

what are you feeding them I find this fasinating
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

This is a great group and like most I'm very thankful for the help and support. As I was explaining to someone the other day, building a guitar seems to be comprised of learning a new skill (or skills) pretty much every step of the way, even if you have some woodworking background. It's great to know that the knowledge is there when you need it, which seems to be most of the time on the first build.

And a special thanks to Diane for her help and patience - and for the Finch pics!

Clay
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Diane, thanks for sharing your zebra finch pictures.
I actually raised finches and parakeets many years ago, starting in 1980 up to 1987. I had an outside aviary and and inside bird room with two 3 x 4ft floor to ceiling cages, and about 12 breeding cages that I made myself. Well I made it all myself. :)

I had about 10 varieties of finches, diamond doves, button quail and the parakeets. I even took baby zebras and parakeets from the nest right after hatching and hand feed them to fledgling age, and they thought I was their mother (or daddy). Totally hand tame. I never did it with the Societie's, don't know why. The parakeets were especially fun to do this with.

While I had the birds, I lived in Ceres in central California and started working the SF bay area, living there during the week, and coming home on the weekends. One weekend I came home, and when I went outside to the aviary on the Saturday morning, my aviary which had about 150 birds in it sadly only had about 12 live birds. The rest had all died of lack of seed. The feeders were all empty apparently eating by mice or rats most likely, I never could see how they got in. It was a sad day for sure.
I did build the bird population back up, but never to that amount. All to say, I really enjoyed the hobby and got much satisfaction from it. My inside birds were still okay, thank goodness.
These days my wife says I can't have birds. :(. Otherwise I'd build an aviary in the backyard in a heart beat.

Again thanks for sharing your finches with us, hoping your husband is recovering okay?