John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Re: be well and stay safe

Post by MaineGeezer »

No instruments in progress at the moment, but I'm just finishing up a storage box for my lathe change gears.

What I REALLY ought to be doing is cleaning the shop.....
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm in West Virginia, the last state to have a COVID-19 case. Unfortunately, they weren't really testing.

My degree is in biochemistry. I specialized in infectious disease. The R(0), which is the factor of virulence, is 2.3, which I think is optimistic. That means that for every person who is infected, s/he will infect 2.3 more people. To put this in perspective, when one person is infected, they infect 2.3 more folks.

Those 2.3 people, each infect 2.3 more, which equal 5.29 people. They in turn infect 31 people, and those 31 infect 974 more people...and so on. It's exponential.

My point is that everyone, in all states, need to distance themselves from others, whether you're respective government has ordered stay at home orders or not. Order what you can online. Wash your hands before leaving your house, AND when you get home. Younger people are now getting very sick and dying. All viruses eventually change their RNA as they replicate. COVID-19 is no exception.

So please, please, please, be mindful about you're personal habits. Remember what you touch in a store, has been touched by others.

The good news is that plain ol' soap and water will wash away the virus, so wash up! If you use hand sanitizer containing alcohol, take a look at the percentage; It needs to contain 70% or more alcohol to be effective against this virus. Also remember that the minute you touch something, you're contaminated again.

I use a wash containing chlorhexidine gluconate, which stays on the skin with an antimicrobial action of 6 hours. The brand that I use is called Hibiclens.

Also, be very wary of any social media posts about the virus; there's a lot of misinformation out there.

Use the guidelines set up by the CDC, WHO, and NIH.

Please be safe. If you're stuck at home, now is the best time to build guitars! It'll keep you relatively sane.

Hibiclens Antiseptic & Antimicrobial Sk ... GEbMZ9V0DX
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Good thing we all have some Everclear in the shop

Ed
Ed M
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Sorry if this sounds silly or selfish but I'm really itching to go to the local Lowes or Woodcraft. Are StewMac. LMI and RC Tonewoods still in operation? I'm assuming yes since the SPAM emails are still flowing.
~ Neil
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

nkwak wrote:Sorry if this sounds silly or selfish but I'm really itching to go to the local Lowes or Woodcraft. Are StewMac. LMI and RC Tonewoods still in operation? I'm assuming yes since the SPAM emails are still flowing.
Not a silly question at all. It depends on your location. Here in WV, hardware stores are considered vital, so our little local hw store, Lowes, and Home Depot, are operating, but at reduced hours. Stewmac is in Athens, Ohio. I would think that they might be operating on reduced hours, but I don't know. Just call them.

Woodcraft, here in Parkersburg, WV, is operating on reduced hours. But, they aren't letting anyone in the store. They'll meet you at the door, take your order and payment info, then bring your items to you. I just got home from woodcraft. I called and ordered over the phone, inc payment info. Then they met me at the door with my stuff and a receipt.

He told me that all woodcraft stores were operating differently, depending on location.

My advise is to call before going anywhere.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

The San Francisco Bay area shelter-in-place order has been extended to May 3, 2020.

I have 3 guitar kits still in the box. I guess I know what I can do to fill the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Our governor mandated a shelter in place order, which is open ended. He has to issue an executive order to lift it.

Here is a list that's kept current, on each state's policy. You can click on the link(s) provided under the synopsis for each state, to read your state's order or policy:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... order.html
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars