Why guitars don't get built

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
BEJ

Re: Why guitars don't get built

Post by BEJ »

As long as we are talking about cars and guitars that didn't get built, here is a project that kept me from some serious building time.

This is my version of "The '70s Muscle Car Cadillac didn't build," they were the only GM division that never developed/marketed a muscle car. pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

I STILL WANT THE BUG!!!
Hahaha, I do too!

The canoe just moved to the front of the line - has to be ready for the boundary waters trip this year so got it down from the garage ceiling, hauled the strongback up from the basement and started sanding the outside. The hard stuff is done and since this is a working boat and not a work of art I can move a little faster. But after that the bug becomes the priority.
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Back in 1986, when I met my husband, we found a 1969 Bug in a field in Florida, with all flat tires. We bought it for $150, had it towed out and brought home. Frank and I (yes, I am actually mechanically inclined and don't mind dirt), rebuilt the engine, replaced the back hood and got it back on the road. I sold it in 1991, just prior to our move to Ohio.

It was the biggest mistake of my life (other than my first marriage, but I digress...). I wish I'd never sold that bug. I loved that little car.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

Diane Kauffmds wrote: I wish I'd never sold that bug. I loved that little car.
You can spend your shop life on cars. Recently, I could have invested with great discount in a garage find vintage Corvette that was a big deal and sold to an Indy racing team. I don't want to get the details wrong. It was late 60's split window something worth 7 figures w/ all the right this and that engine and still wrapped in showroom plastic. It was in a hoard situation across the street from me and if I was a car guy, i'd be fixing that up today instead of building guitars. ( I purchased a 54 Martin from that same stuff ) I sorta kick myself as there could have been great profit but as I said, not a car guy.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

You can spend your shop life on cars
This is very true

I've had a few over the years, nothing very valuable but I love the design aspect. Most recently I had a '64 Land Rover SII which I sold because I thought we were moving. Kind of regret it but it drove like a tank. Old cars drive like old cars, and require lots of attention - seems the more I drive them the less I miss them!!
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Pete
"I love Avantis. Studebaker or 'Avanti'?"

It's an '81 Avanti II. The guys who bought the building, the name, and all the parts fro Studebaker in 1965 built them just like the originals until '84 with Chevy engine and trans. Mine still has the left-over '59 Lark convertible frame, the kingpin front end from the Lark, and the Jaguar front disc brakes that the Studie used. It is an early 60's car built in '81 - crazy.

Ed
Ed M
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Ed, thanks for the details. Avantis are absolutely gorgeous works of art, and not bad runners, near as I can guess. I never knew that the Lark chassis was used, I always guessed it was the senior cars' frame (Starlight coupes/hardtops, Hawks). Learn something every day.
peter havriluk
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Quick update on the canoe - it works! Had to do a full court press in the spring and summer so the guitar was put on hold while I wrassled with gunwales, seats, caning and a carrying yoke. Put the canoe on top of the car Aug 8th as the varnish was drying, drove 14 hours north and put in the next day in the BWCA. Great trip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Lovely. Well done

Ed M
Ed M
jread

Post by jread »

That is beautiful and where you are is even more! That is a really great reason to put the guitars up for while. I am having the opposite issue...