Why guitars don't get built

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Morecowbell

Re: Why guitars don't get built

Post by Morecowbell »

Great setup - I love seeing other shops, really like the outdoor area. As much as I fantasize about my post and beam shop with huge windows I seem destined to do woodworking in the basement, not sure what that's all about.

Is the bench your design? Looks really clean and functional. In addition to the very cool vise on the end with the bender, I also think I see a vise on a shelf under the top - are you able to add and subtract vises?
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Nic looking shop and tool set up. Was this taken the day you finished building everything?. Last time my shop looked like that was..... um......well.....OK.....uh.... never

And I thought of building a shop in a separate building when we built a house 12 years ago, but thought about February and having to go out and turn on the heat an hour or two before I used it, and I gladly put it in the basement. It was the right choice. The trick is to have a dry basement and to have a completely dedicated area.

Ed
If I were two faced, would I be using this one? Abraham Lincoln
Ed M
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Answers to ???.. Small vice a copy somewhat of this... The larger vice stored under to be set up on top when needed, have holes drilled in various locations for this.
Pics I took yesterday, forced me to clean up things, kinda like pre cleaning the house before the cleaning maid service shows up.
Bench design was after looking at a lot of different designs online and combining what I thought were the best features to get my bench. Made a few changes after use. Seems like we all start out with a GOOD plan but after a few months/years of use find out maybe a change or two is needed.
One of the best things about the internet is you can see and learn how others are doing things, But in the end you still have to do it yourself and learn what works for you. Think this applies to guitar building, shop/tool building layout, working on cars WTH one could say life period.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

The bench reminds me of the clean functionality of scandanavian design, but with a different approach, really nice.

And I have to ask about the gap in the middle - for me it would just be a tool and trash trap! But then I don't get the "tool tray" thing on old benches either - how do you use the split down the middle?
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

In regards to the bench top gap, one of those ideas that maybe looked better than it's worked out. Was suppose to be a place for hand tools as you did the task at hand then put the tools in their regular place after task complete. Works ok, but most of the time I keep my sanding blocks and related supplies in the gap.

I made a 36" U shaped filler to close the gap when needed, also have a 3/32" piece of SS about 30"x30" that can cover the gap like when using the binding machine and holder sled to route channels.
ruby@magpage.com

That's a great vice - gets the work up high and has the bottom adjuster to keep the jaws even. Great idea and well done. Where did you get the screw handle?

Steve Latta has a version he built and a friend did one - very useful

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2014/10 ... ork-easier

And I built a more conventional Moxon type vice that handles dovetails wonderfully and turns out because the long jaw can skew, it holds a neck or a fretboard nicely

flickr (dot) com/photos/ruby1638/16197286457/in/album-72157650103892998/

This forum only allows one URL per post, so piece that one together. I made it so that it had an extra leg on the left so it fits in the face vice quickly. Very important to get the work up high.

I learned some woodworking from an old-guy neighbor in the 70's and he said for rough work, the piece want to be wrist high, for more precision, elbow high, and for close work, shoulder high

Ed
Ed M
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

I bought a 12' piece of threaded rod 3/4"x8 with some square nuts and morticed them into the 2 jaws. Got the wheel handle from Amazon. After doing this I might have been better off just buying a bench screw.

I also built a vice set like the one you cited, haven't use it very much so far.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I STILL WANT THE BUG!!!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

I have a couple of carpentry project around the house that keep me from my Stauffer-necked 00 12 fret. I have always found it tough to do 2 major projects at once. However, with these nice spring days, and living in the country along the Chesapeake Bay, hard to resist an hour or two of cruising to spoil you day.

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I love Avantis. Studebaker or 'Avanti'?
peter havriluk