Another DIY question

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
BEJ

Re: Another DIY question

Post by BEJ »

Nice work, those leveling devices are one of the greatest things to come along the past few years. Wish they we around on a few tile jobs I did where some "lippage" showed up.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

BEJ wrote:Nice work, those leveling devices are one of the greatest things to come along the past few years. Wish they we around on a few tile jobs I did where some "lippage" showed up.
Actually, those shims are far from perfect. There's still some slight lippage, though it's less than 1/16". My opinion is that they need to be wider so that .

Another thing that comes up is that you find yourself working against the clock so that the mortar gets harder to spread with the trawl after about an hour. I will confess that I also purchased a paint mixer which I could've used in that instance but I get into a groove and can't walk away once I'm making progress. Because the room was so small I found myself working in rows too, which set me up for lippage issues. I didn't want to "paint myself into a corner" and the result was those two tiles coming up was the result.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

The contractors who threw my house together did a hatchet job on the medicine cabinet and my previous framing didn't cover the rough edges, which was bothering my wife. I ended up reframing the box with door framing. Pay no attention to the poor mitering; I'm a perpetual n00b with these things. -_-

~ Neil
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I like the framing. Use some latex based caulking, which you can paint, and fill in the mitering booboos. Paint over it and you'll never know that the mitering isn't perfect.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com