John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
nkwak

Re: Another DIY question

Post by nkwak »

I had to replace the toilet, hooked up all the plumbing and put the baseboard back in. I still have to finish up the storage. I removed the medicine cabinet and am converting it to a niche. I also need to get some shelving on the opposite wall and above the toilet.

Would I do this again? I have to admit that we hired somebody to do the tubs and surrounds and they were done by a crew of 3 in a day. My wife is on the fence about me doing the floors in her bathroom. I've painted it and replaced the lighting but haven't done anything else and TBH the only help she gave me was positive feedback and hauling the plate glass mirror down two flights of stairs. My son was without a bathroom for over 2 months. She doesn't want to be without a bathroom that long!
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Just thought I'd share some pictures of the sequel to this project: my wife's bathroom. I opted to buy a cheap table saw and 10" wet saw for the tiles this time around. Everything is going much more smoothly though my wife is not entirely patient with my progress since she has to share the bathroom with our 13 yo son.

Before: with previous paint selection and new light fixtures, both done by yours truly. We paid to have the bath tub and surround updated.

~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

The water stain in the particle board is not as bad as it seems. The subfloor was actually level but I opted to put another layer of 12/32" plywood down just to stiffen things up. She's been very accommodating about me buying whatever I need to make the job go smoothly.

It was a learning moment that the sink supply lines come through the floor and through holes cut in the vanity. Fortunately, demolishing the vanity proved to be the easier (and more therapeutic) method. It also gives me the opportunity to replace all the leak valves.

~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I didn't take pictures of the plywood but having a table saw made prepping the subfloor go much more quickly. I even cut the backer board to shape with it. In between all of this my wife decided that I needed to repaint the room to a lighter color. I live to serve my queen.

The toilet alcove was a little tricky but thankfully that angle is 45 degrees.

~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Last time I rented a 10" wet tile saw from Home Depot but when I saw that it cost just as much to buy one from Harbor Freight I splurged. It's nice not to have to worry about that whole rigamarole.

I opted to cut a gap around the supply pipes on the weather wall.

Again, the alcove was tricky but I'm getting to be quite capable at making clean cuts. That being said, I have yet to cut the circle for the toilet flange:

PS: I also had to cut off about 1" from the bottom of the entry and closet doors.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

All set to start the dirty work now:

~ Neil
jread

Post by jread »

Inspiring! I walled off my basement workshop which left a bathroom sized room right next to the stack. But all that work would definitely hurt the guitar building timeline.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I finished almost everything up about a week ago. There were a couple of issues with two tiles needing to be reset and a pretty tight fit with the under sink plumbing but my wife has her bathroom back:

Yesterday I finally made the replacement for the medicine cabinet which was all rusty. I used PVC boards and trim pieces.

~ Neil
jread

Post by jread »

Really nice job!!

Fortunately or unfortunately for me I started building instruments in 97. Shelved in 97 when we bought our 1st house. Our 2nd house is now "done enough", my kid is is off to college, so I'm finally building guitars.