thoughts

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Bob Gleason

Re: thoughts

Post by Bob Gleason »

Great job John. As time goes on and new folks join in a group, the history often gets lost. I've seen it in our 20 year old local Guild. Newbies, not meaning any harm, constantly try to introduce new ideas that we already tried years ago. I live on an island, a large one, been here 40 years now, given many workshops and classes,and I've had many people try to introduce me to ideas that I know I originated. I've been shown instruments with design elements lifted from my own, without the builder having any idea of where the idea came from. At first it ticked me off a bit, but in time I learned to take it as a form of flattery. It happens. Can't take it personal. I always try to clearly acknowledge other builders who have helped me and give credit where credit is due. That's the best one can do. You have helped me too, and I appreciate that.--Bob
Rag Thumb

Post by Rag Thumb »

Personally I find the forum to be fantastic in its current form. I do apologize that I am not more active but that is because I lack a bit of self confidence in my abilities and methods when compared to others here. I do want to improve on that however.
------------

Rex
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Rag Thumb wrote:...I do apologize that I am not more active but that is because I lack a bit of self confidence in my abilities and methods when compared to others...
In fact, a really good reason to be active here. We all started with less and developed from there. As you know, you are in good hands at KGF.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

even mistakes being posted are good to learn. We all made them and sharing them is a great way to learn . No one should feel embarrassed by making a boo boo. Thanks again for all the support.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

Howdy John,

I swung in for the annual peruse through the forum. I noticed a few old names like Kevin Sjostrand, and I stumbled across this post. I made a point to find the post in which Bill had made his remarks, and was immediately irritated by it. I did respond with my .02, as I felt my tenure throughout both the old and new forum gave me the warrant to do so. However, it was probably left better without. I just read your last comment (after the fact) and realized you're probably right and it is nothing to take to heart. I initially took it a bit personal, as my experience on Bill's forum was different than my experience on yours, probably for many reasons, but there was certainly never a lack of good will on this one. If the enthusiasm is gone (or lacking), it's certainly not due to any lack of anything from your end.

When I first found this forum, I was 16 years old, and very much a punk kid. Disinterested in school. I quit school in my small town and did an online diploma deal meaning I had a lot of time at home and on the computer. I stumbled across Bill's building blogs one night when I googled "how to build an acoustic guitar" at 3 am. That lead to building 5 acoustic guitars in the basement and then going to Red Wing Minnesota for their guitar repair/building program. I returned for another year to do the violin repair/building program and built a cello. I've worked in various repair shops and was never afraid of the big jobs (neck resets, back removals, ect), but ultimately out grew repairs before long (disinterested).

I had moved Atlanta originally making virtually nothing working at a hack job repair shop. During my time in Atlanta, I worked for myself doing quality repairs from my apartment. I found a maker space/shop to co-op with some very intelligent fellas, where I discovered CNC & CAD (both because of guitar related reasons), worked at various engineering firms (due to the CAD and CNC knowledge) was the "product engineer" for a company doing RD and prototyping, started a guitar building "workshop", that I taught, so that the guys who were counting down the days to retire (and build) could start the process sooner than later while maintaining the day job. I thoroughly enjoyed stringing up somebodies first guitar, and my 30 something guitar lost a bit of it's sparkle. With that said, over the past several years after moving to Colorado, I've gravitated away from prioritizing building.

I currently live in Aspen, Colorado (year round vacation), and in the organic evolution from guitar relevance, I learned CAD, I learned CNC, and then I started building CNC machines. Given what my path was like, I actually volunteer at the Highschool here and rewired their entire CNC machine (that an electrician said they couldn't run) to work on their newer system, and got a CNC laser setup in their shop so that kids get that exposure. Last year I officially had started my business here noodling around with various things with CNC and in the woodshop. Last week I was in the highschool shop helping a senior navigate his major mistakes on his (first) electric guitar build, as his scale length, neck angle, and bridge position were all wrong. I told him he was better off and if I had told him how to do it right in the first place, he would have learned nothing, but this way he would never forget.

The point of all of this is that at 29 years old, I largely credit all of my life's trajectory on this forum. Bill Cory is a name I will never forget, as he is the man that created the platform that I found. If it was not for his desire to share his experiences and knowledge, I may have never found the path that took me the way the wind has blown. At the same rate, your forum (and it's natural evolution) was the platform that evolved with me through that time. I don't know if this post was made looking for (or needing) reassurance, but I am of the belief that many people would have outgrown this forum very quickly, had you not taken it the way it has gone. Hat off to you and all of the time and work you've put in.

If I'm ever through your neck of the woods in PA, you'll certainly be the first stops, as you're just as much to thank as Mr. Cory for how much this forum had helped me find a way.

Cheers,
Dan
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey there Dan. Wow. I totally remember you as that young guy getting started about the same time I was at building. It sounds like you have made good, so congratulations to you.
Nice to hear your story. Sounds like you are doing well and enjoying yourself. Keep on going!

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

this is the point of this forum to share experiences , learn from each other and then use the information to your benefit. Not many get to say they have a job that requires you to make friends.
thanks
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

I wanted to chime in as a newb to the forum. I applaud anyone who offers up their time and energy to the general public, especially on a topic as complex as building a guitar, whether kit or otherwise. Re the evolution of the site, I can't say much since I just got here, but it seems like natural progression. As a kid I built balsa models from kits, but quickly added the benefits of scratch building to the stable - just more options. It would seem to be similar with guitars, and a benefit to have both perspectives offered in one spot.

To John and the group, I think you all do a wonderful job. You all have been very helpful and patient with an excited newb with lots of questions, and I'm very grateful. Many thanks!

Clay
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Clay, that's what we're here for. We hope that you have fun building, while finding the help you need. I'm glad you enjoy the forum.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Found another unread thread that was started between the time I first came on this site(2012), left for awhile, and returned recently.

Have looked at a lot of other guitar building sites. etc...but this one always stuck in the back of my mind for a lot of the reasons others have already stated, just seemed like a group of folks wanting to build things, share, and learn and help out others without much BS.

It's always interesting to me how many people you notice that come and go, but this happens in most human activities, my church is one example of this, a great turnover in members throughout the years. Guess most things run in cycles, sometimes you come in at a high level, a lot going on and think this is how it always is. But then things change a little eventually like they always do and levels of interest drop off, people leave or come on the site. Things change is about the only constant in this life.

Going to try to do a better job on following through on the building and maybe generate something useful to add to the forum.