Please think safe

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
tippie53

Please think safe

Post by tippie53 »

4 weeks ago I had an unfortunate meeting with a table saw blade. I am happy to report I will have a full recovery . The #1 safety rule my Pop told me was never set the blade higher than you need to. This did save my thumb but I broke rule #2 keep pinkies out of the sharp stuff.
Kickback threw my thumb into the blade. So people learn from my mistake DO NOT TAKE SAFETY FOR GRANTED!. I will be replacing my saw with the Saw stop but not replaceing safety. I would highly recommend you rethinking what your fingers are worth. I spend a lot of time on my saw and it happened. I can't change that but please learn from my near miss.
I didn't take any pics but it was graphic and I am lucky to still have a working thumb. I should be 100% is a few more weeks. The tool is as dangerous as the loose nut operating it.
If I can save 1 person from this type of injury it will be worth it
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Rag Thumb

Re: Please think safe

Post by Rag Thumb »

Very possibly that accident happening another 1/8" deeper could have been a "life changing event" in a very bad way for you John.

I'm sure we are all very happy you will make a full recovery!
------------

Rex
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

thanks rex
call sometime
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but in this particular case, Sawstop might not have reduced your injury by all that much because I have heard of injuries very similar to yours on Sawstop-equipped saws. It's certainly worth having in the future, though! Just because it doesn't improve the outcome 100% of the time is no reason to pass it up.