Anyone Know about Bicycles?

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Diane Kauffmds

Anyone Know about Bicycles?

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've chosen a bicycle, but I'm not sure whether to buy a 7 speed or 21 speed. I live in the foothills of WV. The town is hilly, but not excessively so. I'll be riding casually and in town.

I won't be off road, nor am I mountain biking. My reason for riding is fitness and weight loss. I've chosen the Sixthreezero EVRYJouney Bike, because of the frame/pedal design. I have health issues, so I need a step through design, with handlebars that will enable me to sit upright. I also nees to be able to stand with both feet on the ground, while strading the saddle. With the forward pedal design, this bike meets all of my criteria, without spending too much money.

So, how do I choose between the 7 and 21 speeds? Does anyone have input that will help?

Here are some specs: https://www.sixthreezero.com/collection ... 0152820481

More info:

21-speed Shimano Tourney derailleur and EZ Fire Plus shifter help you tackle demanding street, trail, long distance, and uphill riding. Front and rear handbrakes make stopping easy and precise.

7-speed Shimano external hub allows for a wide range of riding – from leisure to long distance commutes. Includes front and rear handbrakes.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Re: Anyone Know about Bicycles?

Post by tippie53 »

the purpose of the speeds is so you can maintain a rhythm . 21 speeds may be good if you have lots of hills. Go out on some bike forums I am sure you will get better info there
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks John.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

A good bike shop ought to be able to advise as well.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've researched forums. The nearest bicycle shop is in Charleston. But, thanks for the suggestion. I just took a chance that someone on the forum rode bikes.

At any rate, I'm ordering the 21 speed. WV is called the mountain state for a reason. If I decide to go to a local state park, the hills become steep pretty quickly outside of Parkersburg.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Good choice. Many gears can be annoying from a maintenance perspective...more to break or keep in order. However for climbing, you will be able to keep a consistent effort without having to overexert. I ride a 12-speed fuji which for Chester County PA is good enough. Shifting will take a little getting used to, esp. with 21 gears, but you will appreciate most of those when climbing. :-)
saltytri

Post by saltytri »

Long-time cyclist here. More gears is undoubtedly the right choice. You might not have to use them very often but when you need them, they're there. The risk of increased maintenance cost is slight. Enjoy your new bike!!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

saltytri wrote:Long-time cyclist here. More gears is undoubtedly the right choice. You might not have to use them very often but when you need them, they're there. The risk of increased maintenance cost is slight. Enjoy your new bike!!
Thank you!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

As I started to order the bike, i decided to check EBay one more time. Darn if I didn't find the 21 speed, brand new, for the price I was going to pay, or best offer. I made an offer and it was accepted. The seller is Sixthreezero, so it has all of the warranties. I paid less than the price of the 7 speed, so I'm a happy camper.

I bought a MIPS helmet and a Kryptonite u-lock. I'm ready to go when it comes!

Thanks to everyone who respoinded.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
saltytri

Post by saltytri »

I'm so glad you went for the MIPS! That's not a splurge. I've had to "use" my MIPS ski helmet and was very glad to have it. Congrats on getting a good deal on the bike. You're all set!