Flat-sawn Bubinga

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
David L

Flat-sawn Bubinga

Post by David L »

Does anyone know anything about using flat-sawn Bubinga for b/s? I've worked with it before in a non-lutherie application. It's very hard and dense but I like the way it works and love the way it looks on the flat, some examples have figure that is second to none (just my opinion). I know it has been used for tonewood, I'm just not sure if flat-sawn material would be acceptable for a guitar. Yea or nay anybody?

Thanks,
David L
tippie53

Re: Flat-sawn Bubinga

Post by tippie53 »

It depends on the piece you are using .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

There's many guitars made of flat sawn materials -- its pretty rare to find a modern Brazilian Rosewood that is not made from slab cut wood -- when the 1/4 sawn wood became "rare" its was suddenly OK to use the slab wood. So, is it OK to build with riff and slab cut wood yes -- is the 1/4 sawn material a better choice -- yes. The main difference is that the 1/4 sawn material has a more predictable expansion, contraction cycle and pattern. On the other hand the slab cut is a little less split and crack prone. No matter as John points out it still depends on the billet. Most importantly, in my view is the "drying history" was it professionally dried --kiln or air? Bottom line if the moisture content is more than 7% it might not be a good idea. $.02
kencierp

Post by kencierp »