A snag so big, I have come to a major decision

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
kinspeed

A snag so big, I have come to a major decision

Post by kinspeed »

I have acquired almost all of the materials to start my build. Here's one snag, I was going to be able to use a shop of a guy who teaches building. It's an hour and a half away and I just don't have the time to make it down there and be able to get anything done. So I decided that I would start to get the tooling together to do that. I really don't have a shop so I wanted to confiscate the garage and create my space. Here's the biggest snag, the wife will not give up her half of the garage, it's to big of a deal for her to scrape snow of of the vehicle 10 or so times a year. So now I am at an impasse. I have $3000 worth of materials and very lttle tooling to build a guitar or two, which was my plan. The next solution is to hire someone to build them for me. So my question is, do you know of someone that could professionally build me a Hauser style nylon stringed classical and a small jumbo steel string for less than an arm and a leg? I would hope to keep them at $2500 or less per guitar. I hope someone can help me. I have a line on a local Luthier but he doesn't build nylon stringed guitars. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
MaineGeezer

Re: A snag so big, I have come to a major decision

Post by MaineGeezer »

I think you need to figure out a way to build them yourself. If you farm out the work that requires power tools, you can build a guitar in a pretty small area. John might help with the things you don't have equipment or space to do.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Not owning a garage, I didn't have that option. With my first 2, I had no space and no large power tools. I used the front porch and dining room table.

John cut and bent the sides to shape and size. I did everything else entirely by hand. As maingeezer said, John can help in a lot of respects. Also, my local lumber company helps me with things like thickness sanding, for a small fee.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have customers in NY that build over a toilet in a condo. I can help with some stuff for sure. You don't need a big shop just the desire
In fact we can do a class here if you wish don't give up the quest is part of the fun
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

I set up temporarily in my garage. I set up a folding table for my work bench. I do the work that I can in the time available, and then take it down. I have it organized so set up and tear down each take about 10 minutes.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

there you go Keep it simple
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

I retract my decision. After talking with John, and talking to a couple of luthiers about building for me, I felt literally sick thinking about giving this up. I am going to make it work! I am a huge advocate of the K.I.S.S. principle. Too many things in life are just over complicated.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

kinspeed wrote:I retract my decision. After talking with John, and talking to a couple of luthiers about building for me, I felt literally sick thinking about giving this up. I am going to make it work! I am a huge advocate of the K.I.S.S. principle. Too many things in life are just over complicated.
Ahhh! Good call! KISS is sweet and you can always go complicated later. :-)
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

rcnewcomb wrote:I set up temporarily in my garage. I set up a folding table for my work bench. I do the work that I can in the time available, and then take it down. I have it organized so set up and tear down each take about 10 minutes.
This thing hangs from the ceiling from brackets. Folding legs are from Harbor Freight. The frame holds a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and the 2x4 give ample situations for clamping and attaching jigs. You slap a piece, or two, or three of 3/4 plywood down, clamp them down and you have an instant wood working work bench, plywood sawing table, Thanksgiving dinner table, and it's scalable. Make the 2x4 frame any size that suites you, and size the plywood top to suit your space. Took about 1.5 hours to make and I cherish it for its functionality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure Twice,

Karl B