Lap steel kit

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
LeftyAl

Lap steel kit

Post by LeftyAl »

Anyone know of a descent lap steel kit out there?I've never played one so not too pricey because it may end up under the bed with my bass
Bob Gleason

Re: Lap steel kit

Post by Bob Gleason »

I'm putting together 6 lap steel kits of sorts for some students in an up coming class. I'm not interested in making kits for distribution, but you know, there is not too much to these things. Parts are extremely cheap on eBay. Hardest part is the body, but the body can be anything you want, from a 2 x 4 to a nicely shaped hardwood blank. I'd say forget the kit idea. Just do it from scratch. With eBay parts, I'm sure you could come in at less than $100.00.--Bob
Bob Gleason

Re: Lap steel kit

Post by Bob Gleason »

And here are those lap steel kits in the making. Students will make the fretboards and attach them, do the sanding and rounding off of the body, install the pickup, ream out and install tuners,mount the bridge, learn basic soldering and guitar wiring in the process, and do a rub on poly finish. Since I'm traveling to another island to do this, I won't have any shop facilities or I would have had the students do more of the body.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.