ROWRBAZZLE!

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
MaineGeezer

ROWRBAZZLE!

Post by MaineGeezer »

I know it must be possible to achieve a smooth uniform finish because people do it. But I sure am finding it difficult!!!!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Ben-Had

Re: ROWRBAZZLE!

Post by Ben-Had »

As John is fond of saying, "it's not what you put on, it's what you leave on." You have to get sufficient build up to smooth it down. If you don't lay enough finish down you can't get it smooth. There is a balance between leaving too much on and taking too much off. But I found once I started putting enough on the finish started coming out right. Of course this is a little over simplified, there is a trick to what abrasives to use and when to get that smooth finish.

What seems to be your problem area?
Tim Benware
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The other thing I learned mostly the hard way is that 95% of a good finish happens before any of the final finish is applied. If the finial finish is being applied to a surface that is absolutely level, it is easier to use sand paper to re-level the final finish. Without a spray gun it is hard to lay down a perfect finish so as Tim says you need to have enough finish on so that you can use abrasives to get it level and polished.

Instead of chasing wipe on oils, If you want to pad on a finish I would stick with shellac, or if you want something harder Royal-Lac (a hardening shellac product) .
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it is all about the prep
We have a filling video coming out soon that may help. It is easier to make a great sounding one than a pretty one
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Prep, prep, prep, the better it is done the better looking and easier the finish goes on. Filling and sealing is another place that people often spend too little time and attention. While everyone else is worried about sanding between coats of finish I am sanding bare wood and sealer.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Patience! To do what is required. Patience! To allow sufficient drying time between coats. Patience.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion