Keep or give away your first build

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Chuck73

Keep or give away your first build

Post by Chuck73 »

I would like to know:
1. Did you keep the first guitar you built?
2. If not, do you ever regret getting rid of it?
I've finished 3. The first sounds good but looks ugly to me when compared to the other two. My second was a gift to my fiancée, and my third I play myself. I'm thinking of giving the first one to a buddy of mine since it mostly sits in its case.
JLT

Re: Keep or give away your first build

Post by JLT »

I still have the first musical instrument I ever made, a six-string "church" dulcimer. As for my first guitar, I have that, too, because it's still one of the best-sounding ones I've made, and there's the sentimental attachment, too. But other "first instruments" (lap harps, mandolins, and so on) i've either sold or given to charities to be auctioned off, because I didn't have any real attachment to them, but just considered them stepping stones to better instruments.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I say keep your first!
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

From my cold dead hands!!!!!!
Tim Benware
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

My daughter has my first a classical. It actually was one of my better sounding classical guitars.
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Keep it... I can't play anything, let alone a guitar, all I do is look at, adjust, and fix them. I built my first for my youngest son, a Dread. I may have told him not to ever get rid of it but I don't think that thought would ever cross his mind so... I will be able to look at it, adjust it and fix it for as long as God Will's me to be on this earth.

Sincerely,
Rich
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

My first was an HD28. I just went back and reset the neck.

I have had offers on it but I doubt I will ever let it go.

Sounds great. Even with popsicle sticks for side braces!!

Rick Gunn
B Shuler2006

Post by B Shuler2006 »

I made my first guitar for my dad. He still plays it every Sunday at church! :)
Brandon Shuler
Shuler Guitars
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I made my first guitar in the winter of 1975 from alder and cedar out of my firewood pile. In 1976 I went to Tn. to take a building and repair class in the quaint little town of Springhill. Just a gas station, a little store, and a diner. No Saturn factory! We needed something to repair for the class to learn our chops. I jumped off a chair onto that guitar and broke the neck off to get my repair practice piece. When I got home, I could hardly wait to see if anyone would want the little spruce and walnut 00 guitar I had built at the school, and someone did! If I had not let go of that guitar, I might have never made another one. Now it's 700 or so guitars and ukes later and I'm still at it. Oh, and that first little alder one did not come out so good after the "accident", so it went back on the firewood pile where it came from. So, I say move on and keep building.-Bob
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I guess it's a bit early on for me to answer since it's only 11 months old, but my feeling is NO WAY, NOT EVER! I love the guitar, but even if I decided to build another OM, I would keep it as a reminder of where I came from and how far I've traveled in the scheme of building.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com