My Future Shop Space

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
mnmusic

My Future Shop Space

Post by mnmusic »

So I have this space in the basement that I was going to make into a den/computer room. When I read that my guitar building area needs to be humidity controlled I aborted the den/computer room idea and decided to use it for my guitar building work shop instead. It's not built yet. It's just in the planning stages now. It's not going to be large but I'll make it work. The larger power tools such as the table saw, band saw, jointer and planer are already set up in the garage so the guitar work shop will be mostly for the hand tools but will also include routers and maybe an orbital and finish sander. I don't have room for a separate finishing area so I'll need to do the finishing in the work shop, which means no more building of guitars until the finishing is done on the previous guitar. I've attached a sketch of the area I'll be setting up for the guitar work shop.

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Re: My Future Shop Space

Post by johnnparchem »

I see lots of possibilities. I also work in a constrained space. I like having a bench that I can work on any side. It looks like you can have a 6' long bench in the center of the longer section of the room. Great light and enough room to get around it.
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

johnnparchem wrote:I see lots of possibilities. I also work in a constrained space. I like having a bench that I can work on any side. It looks like you can have a 6' long bench in the center of the longer section of the room. Great light and enough room to get around it.
I was thinking the same thing John. Right in front of the window would be a good place for a decent sized work bench.

Ed
John J

Post by John J »

I wish I had that much space! You just gotta make the most out of what you have.
Learning every day.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

How about a peninsula bench coming off the 10'-4" wall?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the best tool you have is your imagination. You can make a nice shop in the space.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Thanks for all of the comment guys.

Ed
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

MaineGeezer wrote:How about a peninsula bench coming off the 10'-4" wall?
Reading this again, that's not a bad idea.

Ed
Phil

Post by Phil »

mnmusic wrote:
MaineGeezer wrote:How about a peninsula bench coming off the 10'-4" wall?
Reading this again, that's not a bad idea.

Ed
Ed, how did you end up setting up this space? I'm looking at modifying my workshop and will end up with an L shape shop. Curious what setup you decided on, maybe it will give me some ideas.
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Phil wrote:
Ed, how did you end up setting up this space? I'm looking at modifying my workshop and will end up with an L shape shop. Curious what setup you decided on, maybe it will give me some ideas.
Phil,

I've gotten nowhere with the space. I've just been too busy. I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that guitar building will have to be done after I retire. In the meantime, I'm slowly accumulating the necessary tools.

Ed