always learning

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Stray Feathers

always learning

Post by Stray Feathers »

I've put this thread here because it is probably not news, technique-wise, to anyone but me - more of a musing. I am building my first guitars, two Martin "Norman Blake" style OMs with plans altered from Jonathan Kinkead's book. The plan calls for two tone bars below the x-brace, just like the Cumpiano book, and just about everything I've seen on this forum (which is obviously Martin-centric.) I thought this was pretty much standard practice. Well, I finally (duh) looked inside my own guitars, a Martin 000-15 mahogany 12 fret, which has not two, but one tone bar, and fewer finger braces, and a 1990 Larrivée dreadnought, which has two tone bars, but they're parallel to the bridge, between the lower X-braces. This must all be well-known to some, but somehow it has escaped me until now. It reinforces one thing I have learned here: there is more than one way to build a guitar. It's a good day when you learn something new . . .
MaineGeezer

Re: always learning

Post by MaineGeezer »

I expect there are as many ideas about bracing as there are luthiers. For my next guitar, I'm going to try a curved bracing scheme used by Carter Ruff, the luthier I'm working with. Assuming I manage to finish the first guitar....
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Re: always learning

Post by tippie53 »

building a good sounding guitars is easier than making a good looking guitar.
Yes there are many ways to do this and you must find what tickles your ear.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com