Blizzard? Not hardly...

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All

Blizzard? Not hardly...

Post by   »

So all day yesterday (Mon, Jan 26) the doom and gloom weather prognosticators were warning of 24" plus of snowfall in North Jersey and the entire Tri-State area. TV stations called the event 'the Blizzard of 2015.' Of course the rush to the supermarket and box stores resulted in empty shelves of rock salt, bread, milk and toilet paper. Driving bans in NY, NJ and Conn until further notice and all public transportation shut down. Sounds dire, right?
So here it is, the day after and I'll be damned if I can find any measuring device that will show higher than a measly 6" accumulation. Pretty much the same or less within a 50 mile radius. Unfortunately, the eastern end of Long Island was slammed with 24" of snow but that meant that maybe 2 million out of the 50 million predicted to be housebound actually did experience the worst. Our weather prediction services just out and out suck....big time. So many people took a financial hit as there was a travel ban in effect. The kids were gifted a 'snow day' when it wasn't necessary and so many first responders were called in to their jobs but sat on their backsides throughout the overnight just waiting for the blizzard that never arrived. Utility workers were called in from as far as Florida and Ontario but were never put to work.
Historic? No. Hysterics? Yes.
David L

Re: Blizzard? Not hardly...

Post by David L »

Hey Tommy, down here in Lousyana, when a hurricane is "coming" Waldo world stocks up on strawberry Pop Tarts because people stock up on them and they always run. I never knew that strawberry Pop Tarts was an essential survival food product. Go figure, only in the South, no?
Glad you didn't get smashed.

David L
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Tommy

South of Philly we got 1/2" of snow but lots of wind - much less than predicted. Just think of how much better weather forecasting is now than even 10 years ago. I would still rather close things down for a bit and be wrong than the other way around.

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

We're getting snow in Maine, but it's hardly the Mother Of All Snowstorms that was predicted. It will stop. We'll shovel out. Things will be back to normal by Wednesday noon.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Northern Connecticut, western half - - - two plus feet predicted. Got six inches.
peter havriluk
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

We got a 1/4" in my part of NC.
Tim Benware
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

We're melting snow in Minnesota.

Ed

Post by   »

I suppose all that matters is that no one suffered any physical distress or property damage.
OK, on to the next blizzard....
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

This latest blizzard has been a complete bust where I am. 18 to 24 inches of snow has, so far, been about 1", and the wind is mild. I thought I was going to wake up to a howling wasteland and not be able to see the mailbox. I guess the lack of a blizzard is good, but it's sort of disappointing.

Apparently Kittery, Maine, as well as way down east, have gotten hammered. Mid-coast, however, has been missed almost entirely.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

It is still winter? Seattle has been close to 60 with sun the last few days and warm all of this year. It has been so warm this year that March plants are blooming, trees are budding ...