John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rgogo65

Re: Repair Forum

Post by rgogo65 »

Ben-Had wrote:Thanks John. It is a nasty crack, probably worse than it looks in the picture. At least I was thinking along the same line as you were. I've been trying to think how to do it. I was thinking of using CA. Putting a mini turnbuckle brace jack on the inside and brace across the outside cam clamped for support. Wick in the CA then tighten the turnbuckle.

I've also seen little jacks that are controlled by a cable that turns the jack up but I forgot what they're called and can't find one. Where would I find the type you mentioned?

Thanks for your response.

Tim B
Just for reference I think this is what you were talking about but WOWOW...to me it's way cost prohibitive...I like what you've chosen....

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Clamp ... _Jack.html

Ray
Ben-Had

Re: Repair Forum

Post by Ben-Had »

Runningdog wrote:The Stew-Mac scissor jack IS expensive -- but we use ours a lot. Not every day, but nearly. But we're a full-time repair shop. There are some repairs (like this one) where it's the easiest, quickest, neatest tool.

The machinist jacks and homemade turnbuckle jacks work almost as well. You may have to reach in a long ways, bang up your arm a little, but they'll do the job. Just be sure to put a cam clamp on the outside (protect the top and back with large stiff cauls) so the pressure from the inside doesn't do more damage!
That's exactly how I have it planned out. I completed a dry run and it pinched the brace in nicely. I'm waiting now for some long pipettes to come so I can reach back there with the glue (I have big forearms). I used some magnets on the top to help me locate the exact position of the jack so I could place my cam clamp in the right spot. I also have an old scissor jack but it was a little too big to position correctly. If I have more of these to do I think I'll invest in the Stewmac jack.

Tim B
Tim Benware