Repair Forum

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Ben-Had

Repair Forum

Post by Ben-Had »

Anyone know of a repair forum like this? I want to learn more about taking these apart now that I'm gaining knowledge on putting them together. I could use some tips. Thanks.

Tim B
Tim Benware
darren

Re: Repair Forum

Post by darren »

I would guess that John knows the solution to any problem you have...
Darren
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

what do you need to know ? I will be adding a repair and scratch building forum soon . Keep watching
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I'd like to learn how to do more of my own repairs. But for starters I'd like to know how to fix this cracked back brace, closest to the block.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is a nasty break . You have to work glue into the brake and clamp it. Getting this clamped will be a toughie . I would dry fit the crack before gluing to see the mechanics of my technique. Often you have to make your own tooling and clamps.
One way to clamp this is to use a "golf club". This is a tool that will look like the golf club and you can manipulate the handle it will work like a cam action.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Thanks John. It is a nasty crack, probably worse than it looks in the picture. At least I was thinking along the same line as you were. I've been trying to think how to do it. I was thinking of using CA. Putting a mini turnbuckle brace jack on the inside and brace across the outside cam clamped for support. Wick in the CA then tighten the turnbuckle.

I've also seen little jacks that are controlled by a cable that turns the jack up but I forgot what they're called and can't find one. Where would I find the type you mentioned?

Thanks for your response.

Tim B
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Keep things simple. The small turn buckle or machinist jacks are great. Don't forget wedge blocks. If it gets things tite it will work.. Ina worse case scenario you take out the brace and replace
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I've purchased this for use - 1.5 to 2.3" tall. I'll fabricate some teflon cauls to make up any difference needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I like it! Harbor Frieght?
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Ken Hundley wrote:I like it! Harbor Frieght?
I tried to find it at Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and a couple others I could think of with no luck. Finally found it at littlemachineshop.com. I found a bunch of others that were 3" collapsed and 4" extended but thought that 3" might be too tall between some locations on some guitars. I think it was about $13 plus shipping.
Tim Benware