How to get a fade-resistant label

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
MaineGeezer

How to get a fade-resistant label

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've been working on the design for a label to go in my guitar when it's complete. It occurred to me that ink fade might be a problem. I hope, of course, that the guitar I build will be around for a while, and I'd like the identifying label to remain legible,

Have any of you addressed this problem? I'm thinking that printing a label on my home inkjet printer may not be the way to get a durable label. There a pretty good local printer who might be able to produce a durable label; I haven't inquired. Have any of you experience along that lline?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
johnnparchem

Re: How to get a fade-resistant label

Post by johnnparchem »

Almost more important than the ink is the paper or linen used to print the label. The are archival quality inks that work with at least some epson printers. Combine the ink with acid free archival quality paper and the label should last awhile.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

My labels are going on 100 years now printed on my computer and fancy parchment paper and they still look great.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use a branding iron.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I printed the label in my OM build, using matte photographic paper and my printer. Most name brand home photo printers, like Canon, HP, etc. use fade resistant, archival ink.

I've got a lot of this paper, which I don't care for using with photos; if you want some of it, message me and I'll send you some of it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I just came across this thread so apologies for a late reply. Be careful of inkjet inks - most will fade, except for those used in high-end photo printers. Look for acid-free paper in an art supply store if it is not identified elsewhere. The biggest problem may be with the ink you use to sign and/or number your guitar - they fade even before the printer inks. You can also spray the finished label (maybe even after it is in place) with artist's varnish that has a UV inhibitor in it. Gloss and matte are available. In the end, these labels are not exposed to a lot of damaging light, so may not be a worry, but in the picture framing business I have seen a lot of diplomas with faded signatures and there's no retrieving them.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I think I'll sign in pencil -- no fading! -- then spray over it. I was unaware of "artist's varnish." I'll look into that, thanks.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

On the advice of a friend who is a vintage guitar repair wizard, I take my label to the local Fed-Ex store and they print it on a laser printer on archival paper. It is $1 a sheet, so you can get a bunch on there and it is pretty cheap. The laser ink is long-lasating and will not run with either dilute Titebond or dilute Hide Glue as an adhesive.

Ed MInch
Ed M
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:On the advice of a friend who is a vintage guitar repair wizard, I take my label to the local Fed-Ex store and they print it on a laser printer on archival paper. It is $1 a sheet, so you can get a bunch on there and it is pretty cheap. The laser ink is long-lasating and will not run with either dilute Titebond or dilute Hide Glue as an adhesive.

Ed MInch
Do you have to bring the paper with you or does Fed-Ex actually have archival paper?

Ed
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

The Fed-Ex in my little rural town of 4500 has the paper in stock, several colors and textures.

Ed
Ed M