Name That Wood III

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
David L

Re: Name That Wood III

Post by David L »

Well that certainly clears things up! (sarcasm) Muddy Waters! I think I can clear this up, what you have is a generic form of wood that was imported from either Aisa, Africa, or South America that could be any one of about ten to twenty species or sub-species that is similar to mahogany but really isn't, and is sold as mahogany but really isn't.
I would also like to add this I am not an expert on wood, in fact there are a bunch of people on this forum that know a lot more about wood than I do. I dabble in woodworking as a hobby, Yes, I like to have fun and play the Name that wood game but for the most part I know what kind of wood it is only because that's what the vendor said it was when I bought it, if someone else was hosting the Name that Wood game I would probably lead the pack at giving incorrect answers. I hope I haven't misled anyone into thinking that I am anything more than woodworking hobbyist, enthusiast. Now with that disclaimer out of the way, what I have noticed (at least in the area that I live in) is that people that know absolutely nothing about wood think that Mahogany is some prized, special, wonderous, prestidious, rare (okay enough adjectives) wood that is highly sought after and in short supply. I say this because I think that the vendors out there for the most part know that average Joe citizen thinks this way so they represent everything under the sun as Mahogany, basically a sales ploy.
But hey, that's just an observation and an opinion.

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey DAvid, you make awesome boxes, so that makes you qualified in my box, uh, I mean book

Post by   »

A bunch of years ago I was shopping for a guitar and learned real fast that there are a bunch of Mahoganies,
including Sapele, as far as the big name makers are concerned. I bought a "Mahogany" guitar which I'm certain is Sapele.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Isn't Luan and Phillipine mahogany the same?
I have some Luan, and it doesn't look like that, it is on the grey side, and less grain structure showing
They are different sub species.....but here in America these terms get all mixed up and used interchangeably. That is why I usually speak latin when it comes to lumber, it eliminates all confusion...usually. Sub species as denoted by spp are difficult. I run into it most when I buy my African Mahogany( Khaya spp.)
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com