Just wanted to introduce myself...

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
nkwak

Just wanted to introduce myself...

Post by nkwak »

Hello, everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself though I recognize a few people from other forums. My name is Neil and I'm in the very early stages of building my first guitar. I've been playing for over 30 years but have just now started really come to appreciate the work and materials that go into building these things that make me feel good when I play them. I'm starting from scratch (plans and boards, basically) and I hope I don't screw my first one up too badly so I'm going very slowly.

Thus far I've had a lot of help and encouragement thanks to John Kitchen who dared me to try my hand at building. Most of the work is being done at his shop but I also have a workbench in my basement where I've done some busy work:

As you can see, I'm mostly doing prep work making molds and forms, though I've also done a little "tooling up" as well. When it comes to woodworking I'm a complete newbie and I'm sure I've made some mistakes already but I like to think I'm learning as I go.
~ Neil
tippie53

Re: Just wanted to introduce myself...

Post by tippie53 »

Welcome to the party , we will be happy to help. This can be addicting but it also a lot of fun.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Welcome to the forum!
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Hot dang, I knew that was you in the other post!
Welcome aboard. You'll find the same type of guys here as at the other forum. Always helpful and friendly. Been following your and John's builds and of course your commisserations on my errors with my build.
I might need to move in next door to John to take advantage of that shop he has!
Although I have very limited experience, if I can be of help, I'll surely chime in.
Best wishes on your work.
Bob
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Hello, Bob! Good to "see" a familiar face! Don't envy me too much. I haven't so much as used a jigsaw or split a log before this in 20 years. It's also hard for John and I to get together more than once every 2-3 weeks.
~ Neil
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Welcome! Keep the pictures coming!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
darren

Post by darren »

love the drill-in-a-vice spindle sander - and the fire extinguisher clamping technique. Don't you love that when the glue is setting up and you're like - cr@p, I need something heavy, NOW!

:)
Darren
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Hehe - yeah, the vice/drill spindle thing didn't work out so good. I ended up getting one "close enough" and taped it off to use as a master. The rest was done by hand with frequent stops to check with a square.

I used the same process when I mounted and sanded the pine spacers in the mold. It's not perfect but it's good enough for me. I may have to go back in with some bondo though.
~ Neil
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Welcome Neil, you'll find a lot of help here. Sometime I'm helping, sometimes I'm asking (seems like mostly asking lately). But I keep getting better and you will too with all the fine builders and knowledge on this sight. It's great these guys don't hoard information.

Tim B
Tim Benware