The Music We Play...

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Tony_in_NYC

Re: The Music We Play...

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I played lots of loud rock and roll when I was younger. Started playing at around 13 or so. When I was about 23-24 I sort of stopped playing and really didnt pick it up again until my son was born 3 years ago. However, at that time, I switched to acoustic from electric. My focus went from playing Van Halen and ripping solos to singing and playing more mellow stuff people could enjoy. I stick to high heaven (many of you have seen my video) but I enjoy the hell out of playing, so I refuse to stop!
I play a lot of unplugged versions of rock songs, but want to learn to finger pick and play more diverse music types. I played classical for a while when I was in my heyday of playing, but I realized that classical groupies were not really my target audience, so focused more on the rock stuff and the accompanying rocker chicks. Now I am married and no longer need or care about groupies...ok...I am not allowed to need or care about them, so I wish I had kept up with the classical stuff. Maybe I will build a classical one day and get back into it.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Guess I'll join in on this one.
I am self taught, started playing in the folk era; Peter, Paul & Mary, Bob Dylan, The Kingston Trio and so on. I probably played much better when I was 16 then I do now. I mostly strum, but can do some Travis picking, and other patterns...or at least I use to be able to. My first guitar was a Ventura Dred, made in Japan. In 71 in purchased my second guitar, a new Hohner Contessa dred for $125. I loved that guitar. No truss rod, and the neck warped 25 years later, and I thought it was a goner, so I sold it for $25. If I had it today, I'd probably be able to fix it. AS I got older, I played less, and got worse. Got a maple Fender dred about 10 years ago and started to "re-learn" to play. I still mostly strum, but I am working on fingerstyle playing, and I enjoy it a whole lot more. I don't really read music so tabs I have found are great. I have 5 fingerstyle songs in my repetroir so far, but play none of them perfectly.
I won't get really good cause my hands and fingers don't work like they did when I was young, but I'll still work at it. I like to play, but I LOVE to build them..

Kevin
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

I tend to get obsessive about everything I do, to the exclusion of everything else. when i started playing guitar when i was 15, I practiced all the time, and quickly developed physical problems around it. i started babysitt...er...teaching lessons, when i was 18, and earned a couple of music degrees. i was a professional musician and guitar teacher for a while, only to discover that i pretty much hate doing both of those things for a job. i did have a couple of great students, and played some very fun gigs, but those moments didn't seem to happen often enough. i get more enjoyment out of being free to do it whenever i want and however i want.

but I love all music, and at one time or another have played every style. quality artists exist in almost every genre. i love to play jazz and classic rock on my homemade parts telecasters. (check out my main tele! http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 8129_n.jpg) I'm also a Bach freak and enjoy playing his music, too. I'm from kentucky and I have a deep love of bluegrass and old time music, but when I play it, it sounds to me like a schooled musician spoiling it, so I try not to.

when I play the acoustic guitars I've built I play jazz and Bach on those. a couple of years ago i was in an ensemble that played renaissance and early music. i played classical guitar in that group, even though the instrument wasn't period authentic.

lately, I play music with my 8 year old son, and there is a guy that works in my office, who plays piano. I play lunch time duets with him on fridays. usually broadway show tunes and that kinda stuff.

i love it how on guitar you can make a chord, and then, move one finger and get a similar chord, but that has different mood to it. and then, you can lift up one finger to add an open string, introducing another chord to your progression that has a similar-but-slightly-different mood to it. and on and on. I can sit and do exactly that, for hours, and forget about everything else i'm supposed to be doing.

I also enjoy playing electric bass.

I think the recordings here will only play in internet explorer:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Martin-Lane/6142378350
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

OK:

Simon & Garfunkle
Gordon Lightfoot
Harry Chapin
Jim Croce
Peter, Paul & Mary
Cat Stevens (the early years)
Elton John
Bob Dylan
Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young (and others)
Neil Diamond
Pete Seeger
The Byrds
The Beatles
The Mama's and the Papa's
James Taylor
Joni Mitchell
Joan Baez
Phil Ochs
John Denver
The Weavers

Not in order of favorites, just as they came off the top of my head. Am I dating myself?

Tim B
Tim Benware
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Ya, Tim... we should get together and jam with my dad!!! That's only a partial joke though as I play songs by those artists as well.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

mjmeehan wrote:Ya, Tim... we should get together and jam with my dad!!! That's only a partial joke though as I play songs by those artists as well.
Cool, I'll get my 32, 30 and 21 YO sons and 18 YO daughter to join us. Start a pretty decent band!
Tim Benware
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I'll play the ghost of Christmas past and join ya'll.
:)