Why don't all guitars play and sound good? (Long)

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Lynn Livingston

Re: Why don't all guitars play and sound good? (Long)

Post by Lynn Livingston »

Ben-Had wrote:
darren wrote:Sean has good points - this guitar might just need a quick setup. set neck relief with the trussrod, check the string height at the nut and adjust string height at the 12th fret with the saddle. Lots of heated debates on how exactly to do this, but that's the idea anyway. One of my favorite guitars is an '81 yamaha I bought for $100... plays and sounds great after going through the steps above...
DITTO this. Find yourself a knowledgeable Luthier or guitar tech and have a proper setup done. I charge $35 for basic setup (I'm probably on the low side but I have lots of customers) that includes all adjustments if necessary i.e. adjust neck relief, adjust nut slot depth for proper height over 1st fret, adjust saddle height for action over the 12th fret. I am of the opinion newbies should have low action and XL or light gauge strings to make their playing easier. If it hurts to much to play they soon give up. You can always go back later and get a new saddle to raise the action if you want but I've been playing for over 40 years and like my action set at 3.5/64 ( high e) and 5/64 (low e). This is to low for some but right for me.

Tim B

Thank you Tim B. I will indeed be on the lookout for a good luthier. I know there is one that is widely acclaimed in a city about 40 miles from here. He's not cheap they say, but get's the job done right, albeit in a lengthy manner because he stays so busy.
You and the other posts have convinced me to at least check my string's gauge and go back to a lighter strings if indeed I inadvertently changed to a heavier one (I think I did). This would give me some insight and experience anyway, so it would be a good move and a cheap experiment otherwise.
You are so right that I am about to give up playing an acoustic, but I don't want to. I do have arthritis which is one of the reasons I wanted to play now instead of later when it gets worse, but it's the finger tips that are killing me and making me want to quit. Even with calluses that deaden the very tips, inside the tips they are as tender as all-get-out and prevent me from making some tough chords that seem to always be in a song I want to play!
When I decided to take lessons, I also bought an electric guitar off of the local craig'slist. Man, that thing plays like a dream compared to my standard. But, I want to make noise on the standard as well, so I'm going to hang in there for awhile.
Building a kit is sounding better and better if I knew it would be playable in the end, assuming I built it proper.

Lynn
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Lynn, build the kit. It will be playable. If it isn't, then it isn't finished yet. If you have already built a dulcimer, then you have the skills it takes, or will learn them froma little practice on scrap wood. I have no talent with wood either, but it is amazing what you can accomplish anyway. Look at www.nocturnalguitars.com to see what I mean. If I had talent, my execution would be cleaner, less do-overs, and it would go far faster. One way or the other, I get it done fairly close to the way I want. Jump into it....we're here to catch ya.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Lynn Livingston

Ken Hundley wrote:Lynn, build the kit. It will be playable. If it isn't, then it isn't finished yet. If you have already built a dulcimer, then you have the skills it takes, or will learn them from a little practice on scrap wood. I have no talent with wood either, but it is amazing what you can accomplish anyway. Look at http://www.nocturnalguitars.com to see what I mean. If I had talent, my execution would be cleaner, less do-overs, and it would go far faster. One way or the other, I get it done fairly close to the way I want. Jump into it....we're here to catch ya.
Thanks Ken, I'm thinking more and more of building a kit. I visited your website and was blown away by your work; awesome (my grand-kids taught me to use that word when I am impressed). Just seeing that gorgeous wood rendered into such beautiful instruments is enough to make anyone want to try building at least one.
I think I should use your work for inspiration like so many others I've looked at in the last few months. Thanks for sharing and the offer of support, I appreciate it very much.

Lynn
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Thank you, Lynn. The pics don't show the warts or the action issues or the ....well, you know how it goes. Get into it, you'll love it.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Lynn,
My grandkids taught me to say "Coo-low!" I guess it is a popular expression with the young ones in India.. :>)

Get the kit, and get started. You will not regret it (I don't think)

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

As long as you keep the strings on the outside you will do ok
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

You've gotten a lot of good info. I just wanted to tell you last Jan. my 18yr old son decided he wanted to learn guitar. Of course he wanted his own, mine wasnt good enough. Bought a used palmer,$125. [$200new] The previous owner paid to have it professionally set up. It plays as good or better than any guitar I've ever played. Never going to sound as good as a martin or taylor....... But, he didn't get discouraged learning to play because it plays so nice. In fact he has advanced quite a bit, is off at college and going to perform with another kid at a coffee shop. I'm building him a martin om kit right now for Christmas, surprise of course. I've never built an acoustic before, built my own house, but tolerances are a little different. Anyway, these guys on here are great and you could build one. I also built a dulcimer for my other son about 5yrs ago, the guitar will be more fun and rewarding.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I have an Art & Lutherie dreadnaught sized guitar that sounds pretty good (not great, but good). When learning, folks typically play a lot of chords down near the bottom of the fretboard (first 1 -3 frets are used a lot). In that area, the height of the nut can really influence things. If it is a little high, it can sure place a lot more pressure on your fingers. I would go out on a limb and guess this is where you are having the most issues.

Medium gauge strings sound better to me......but they are more difficult to fret as it takes more force to push them in contact with the frets.

I would take the guitar to a decent setup guy (doesn't have to be a luthier that builds guitars). For $35 - $50 they shoul dbe able to adjust the truss rod, lower the nut as needed, and trim the saddle if required. If you want to switch to light guage strings, take a set in with you to give to the tech and have him setup the action for this guage strings.

Have fun!
Slacker......
Lynn Livingston

Darryl Young wrote:I have an Art & Lutherie dreadnaught sized guitar that sounds pretty good (not great, but good). When learning, folks typically play a lot of chords down near the bottom of the fretboard (first 1 -3 frets are used a lot). In that area, the height of the nut can really influence things. If it is a little high, it can sure place a lot more pressure on your fingers. I would go out on a limb and guess this is where you are having the most issues.

Medium gauge strings sound better to me......but they are more difficult to fret as it takes more force to push them in contact with the frets.

I would take the guitar to a decent setup guy (doesn't have to be a luthier that builds guitars). For $35 - $50 they shoul dbe able to adjust the truss rod, lower the nut as needed, and trim the saddle if required. If you want to switch to light guage strings, take a set in with you to give to the tech and have him setup the action for this guage strings.

Have fun!
Thanks Darryl. I actually was having a lot of trouble in the middle frets, trying to to leverage a barre chord into a another chord and back, a shuffle rhythm really, and was just killing my fingers trying to do it too.
I gathered some information together on how to setup my guitar and spent half a day measuring, looking, digesting and such. I adjusted the truss rod a little at a time, and that made all the difference in the world. The thing plays like a different guitar to be sure. I might just fall into like with it again!
I did have this guitar setup when I bought it, but that was 3 years ago. I guess the weather and the recent changing climate here in East Texas changed the original setup, plus putting heavier strings on it might have had an effect.
Even my instructor was impressed that I could play the chords noticeably better and much cleaner.
I am fortunate that I "saved" this guitar; I was getting a little down about why I just couldn't seem to play it anymore. I'm happy that I found this forum and listened to what the good folks was saying. I was trying to listen, but when your a novice and can't even speak the jargon, well, I'm just glad about it.

Lynn Livingston
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Lynn, the difference in string tension between XL strings and heavy is significant. Different between string makers but close. For example, D'Addario's go from about 135 to 217 ft/lbs per set. That extra 80+ ft/lbs can be a big difference in neck relief required for proper setup. Usually when you change to a different gauge string it's a good idea to check neck relief to see if an adjustment is necessary. Then of course humidity can change it as well.

Tim B
Tim Benware