Evening listening

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
deadedith

Evening listening

Post by deadedith »

The ladies ran me out of the house so they could watch a Chick Flick without me poking fun at it. It was a pleasant evening on the back porch with a mix I had put on my ipod. To wit: Alex DeGrassi; Tony Rice; David Grier; Metallica; Pierre Bensusan; and finish up with Satriani at a darn good volume.
Ahhhh : piece de resistance : Eric Johnson full-bore on Cliffs of Dover. Oh my.
Dave B
mjmeehan

Re: Evening listening

Post by mjmeehan »

That sounds nice, and eclectic. Ever listen to Michael Hedges? Might be up your alley.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I've seen Michael perform, and seldom seen any performer galvanize an audience like he did. I think I own all of his music.
One memorable moment during the performance was an 'acoustic thrash' song and instrumental version of the Beatles'
Come Together. 1/2 way through it, the whole audience stood spontaneously and the place rocked. The only other time I've experienced that was when my wife and I took her sister and husband to a classical concert - they were grumbling the whole time (into Foghat and etc at the time) - the concert, outdoors on a summer evening, ended with the "Firebird" symphony (?); the last minute or so, where one instrument plays then another joins and another then the percussion and the volume just swirls up and up - again, everyone, including the in-laws, jumped to their feet and roared approval. Pure excitement.
Dave B
FWIW, the best guitar playing I have ever heard is on the album Leo Brouwer: Sonata;Hika;Siote No 2. Naxos Guitar Collection. The guitarist is Graham Anthony Devine, and he plays a classical guitar with so much color and dynamic etc etc -I know there are a lot of great ones out there, but wow.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Wow, haven't heard Cliffs of Dover in over 15 years! LOVED that CD, and lost it. Sounds like a great evening of listening. You need to ad some Rodrigo y Gabriella to that mix!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvMQCmUVv8
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

You need to ad some Rodrigo y Gabriella to that mix!

I don't believe I have heard the name....I will check it out!
Thanks, I 'm always looking for great music.

Dave B
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

I'm jealous, Dave. Hedges performance would have been something to behold, I believe.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Sorry to tease you but I've seen him twice - the second time was a double header with Leo Kottke. Same venue - San Jose Civic Center - and the sound guys there have it nailed.
Dave B