A good friend passed this morning......

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Darryl Young

A good friend passed this morning......

Post by Darryl Young »

.......the guy that started me on playing guitar. We went to church together growing up, he played a Gibson ES-335 guitar and I would play a Fender Precision bass with him. He, my dad, and another couple we were friends with started a gospel bluegrass group. A year or so later they asked me to join the group and play mandolin with them. Thing was, I had never played a mandolin.....never held or owned one. So my dad bought me a cheap mandolin for Christmas.....and 2 weeks later on New Years Eve night I was playing with them. I can't count how many times we played together.......but we averaged 55 - 57 events a year for a 5 year period and many more years with fewer events. My friend Jerry was the shortest guy in the group and I was the youngest (everyone else closer to my dad's age)........so one of us was always in the trailer unloading/loading equipment before and after events. Jerry always played a Martin D-35.....and he loved to play.

Jerry was one of those guys that always believed I was more talented than I actually was and believed in me more than I've ever believed in myself........or at least he made me think so. I wish we all had someone like that in life.......and I hope I can be that to someone else. After my dad's stroke our bluegrass group didn't play for years (maybe a decade). In the last 2 years we got back together 3 times, twice for a gospel bluegrass festival and once for a cancer fundraiser (Jerry lost his first wife to breast cancer). I'm very thankful we had those last few concerts together as they mean so much to me. It's the only time my kids ever heard us play together.

I've seen Jerry twice since spring. In June I took my first guitar I had just finished down there (I live 3 hours from Jerry and my parents) and he played it for an hour even though his old fingers were aching. The last time I got to see Jerry was after my daughter and niece were in the 4 wheeler accident in July. Jerry is in his 70's but he drove 40 miles to be at the visitation and give me a hug. I'll keep that conversation private but Jerry had lost both a son and wife so knew what we were going through.

Here's to a good friend.......
Slacker......
tippie53

Re: A good friend passed this morning......

Post by tippie53 »

while his passing may be painful the memories you have of him will always bring you joy.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

That's a nice tribute, Darryl. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Herman

Post by Herman »

Jee Darryl, these are really rough times for you. I feel for you.
Please take care of yourself and your beloved.

Herman
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

My condolences for your loss. It sounds like you had a valuable friend who's influence in your life will live on.

Post by   »

Darryl, regrets on Jerry's passing. It now becomes your responsibility to have an effect on someone's life as Jerry had on yours.

tb
David L

Post by David L »

It saddans me to hear of your loss, A very touching testament.

David L
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

My condolences on your loss.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Darryl,
Good memories turn tears sugar sweet. We should all have such great experiences with people to
spend time thinking about. Thanks for sharing a bit of yours with us.

Kevin
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I am glad you had someone like that in your life. My condolences....
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan