Ben-Had

Re: Pop Quiz part 5

Post by Ben-Had »

Brazilian Rosewood.
Tim Benware
David L

Post by David L »

I was wondering when someone was going to say BRW, However, since I don't own any BRW, that's not it. Not Cocobolo either.

David L
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Dalbergia mysteriousa?
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

David L wrote:I was wondering when someone was going to say BRW, However, since I don't own any BRW, that's not it. Not Cocobolo either.

David L
Doh!
Tim Benware
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Oooh Oooooo ooooo, Okay, I know, I know.
It is dark stained Poplar............
David L

Post by David L »

Alright, times up. Dalbergia Melanoxylon, African Blackwood, I really like this wood, visually a lot like ebony but with some cool looking grain patterns. So now for some fun facts and some maybe not so factual facts (HUH?) Some reports tout that the tonal characteristics of African Blackwood rival and even surpass those of the revered, the Holy Grail of all tonewoods, Brazilian Rosewood. Fact or Bullcrap? I don't know, I have never heard a guitar constructed of either of these materials, besides, wouldn't that be subjectional anyway? Hey, it's just something I read, doesn't mean it's true, don't shoot the messenger. This one is fact, with an average specific gravity of 1.2 this wood will not float on water (see attached photos). Most of the lumber available comes out of Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe. This is the wood of choice for woodwind instruments, flute, fife, oboe, etc... It's tight grain, high density, and oily nature allow it to withstand the high pressures and high moistures applied to these instruments. It is also reported to have a high resistance to climatic changes, resulting in very minimal movement.
I have a real nice set of B&S of African Blackwood, but I paid a pretty penny for it so I'm going to wait til I get a few more guitars under my belt before I screw up this expensive set.

David L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

It looks like nice wood. I read that it is hard to bend. Have you heard how hard it is to bend? I guess it is quite brittle.

I saw a picture of a finished guitar and it did look cool.
David L

Post by David L »

Yes, supposed to be hard to bend, very hard wood, dulling tools rather quickly, but supposed to glue fairly well, so maybe not as oily as Cocobolo. I have used it in small doses on some small projects so I can't attest to the dulling effect on tools. I did glue with Titebond and didn't experience any debonding issues.

David L
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

David L wrote:Some reports tout that the tonal characteristics of African Blackwood rival and even surpass those of the revered, the Holy Grail of all tonewoods, Brazilian Rosewood. Fact or Bullcrap? I don't know, I have never heard a guitar constructed of either of these materials, besides, wouldn't that be subjectional anyway?
"Subjectional" indeed.

I've read similar accounts of Macassar Ebony, Cocobolo, and even Osage Orange. Usually these statements are made by someone who just acquired a truckload of it and are looking for someone to take it off their hands. =)
My poorly maintained "Blog"
David L

Post by David L »

Yes Jim, that is what I was thinking when I read that, however, the source (which I choose not to reveal) of the statement, while they do offer Blackwood for sale, it is in very limited quantities. I don't know how they arrived at that conclusion or what thier motivation is, whatever the case, it is a bold statement. Some may feel it is nothing less than luthery blasphemy.

David L