Ervin Somogyi opens his big, educational trap!

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
Tony_in_NYC

Ervin Somogyi opens his big, educational trap!

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Hey there!
I stumbled across this YouTube series by a guy called the Guitar Gourmet today. My first thought was that it was going to be a bunch of guitar shaped cakes and delectable pastries, but much to my chagrin, it had nothing to do with food. My dismay turned to happiness when I saw what the videos were really about. Interviews with different luthiers of note. Stuff on tonewoods, bending, etc. Its good stuff. I found the tap tones of Brazilian Rosewood amazing. Having never held or heard BRW tapped before, it was an eye opener. Look around and you will find some really cool stuff. Here is a three part series from Mr. Somogyi. Part three is not yet available as far as I can tell, but if it comes up or I find it, I will be sure to post it here.
Part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTRhwDprjY
Part two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAEQKmyB5Nk

Lots of cool stuff there as I said. Enjoy!

Tony
tippie53

Re: Ervin Somogyi opens his big, educational trap!

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for posting I will check it out later.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Tony, I could be wrong but I think this is from a presentation Earvin did at one of the Syposiums (Healdsburg maybe?). The release of this was ironically timed around the time Earvin was coming out with his books and I think there was a little contention over having some of this on youtube. Anyhow, they worked out there differences. I think this presentation (or one very similar) is available on DVD if you want to see the 3rd part of the discussion. Or just buy the book.
Slacker......
Herman

Post by Herman »

Yes, it is very like the content of his first book. Never the less quite interesting. I like the comforting pace of his demonstration.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I did not want to buy his books before seeing these videos. Now I am on the fence. I will, however, accept any donations of his book. PM me for my address if you feel like buying me a copy!
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I read both of his books. The first The Responsive Guitar one was interesting as he described the way he approached the guitar design and creation process. Also he gave his thoughts on the physics of the guitar, how wood affects tone, it bit on bracing and the affect on tone. It is not a how to book. The second book was more of a description of how to build a guitar. I like the first one a lot.
They are expensive books.