How About Creating a Build Section?

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
deadedith

Re: How About Creating a Build Section?

Post by deadedith »

Don't knock it - each piece was 1/4 sawn.

I'm wondering how I can quarter saw the poplar with my jig saw and/or pruning saw.
DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Go straight for the chainsaw. Cut 4 foot sections, then hand split the sections. You will end up with perfectly quartered pieces with virtually no runout. Perfect for making guitars or high quality clothes pins. Worst case, I can make poplar toothpicks out of the wood. It's my new side business. I currently stock some Koa, walnut, sapele and spruce toothpicks. Top quality stuff. I am taking orders now.
Herman

Post by Herman »

Yes I like the idea too. But while on to my 11th build I still am embarassed about my mistakes.
Last week I did manage to glue up a top 1/2 an inch from the centreline.
I repaired it, but still not happy.

And you think I should share that with the whole world? Hmm.

Herman
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

for those of you more experienced guys, think of posting your mistakes as a charitable contribution to the forums less experienced guys. We don't have the option of hiding our mistakes because this is where we find out how to fix them, and your mistakes will help us feel better about ourselves.
kyle
kyle
Herman

Post by Herman »

Me being embarrassed and Kyle feeling better. I see you like that idea.

But serious: The forum and elsewhere on the net there are tons of stories and pics of succesful buildings. When I post a pic I choose one with the binding perfectly fitted to the side. The ones with the gaps and the misallignments I keep to myself.
But posting more of those great fittings is not very useful to this forum for amateurs.

There is much more to learn from the repair of mistakes and it brings really more fun to the visits here.

So John, if you see bread in it, as we say over here, do add such a section.

Herman
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I agree with Herman on this. It would be most helpful and encouraging to see steps in a build that did not go well, and how the fixes were approached and carried out. Especially with you very good builders, to see your guitars at the 'warts and all' stage, then at the 'all fixed up' stage - or better yet, a failure now and then and how it happened, would make the Forum even better than it is now. IMO.
DaveB