David is off line now

Get Togethers, Workshops, Open Houses (Any Place, Any Size)
DavidRNichols

Re: David is on line now

Post by DavidRNichols »

mjmeehan wrote:I don't have skype so I'll just ask here.

I've used abalam many times but have only used actual abalone pearl once and was afraid of sanding through the color. Is there a way to tell how deep the color runs? or should I inlay the pearl as deep as possible to eliminate this? Sometimes pearl pieces can be pretty thick. Thanks.

Color on the ablam will be consistent for about 2/3rds of the way thru the shell. With solid shell, you can look at the back and see how consistent the color is from the top. Sanding usually changes it a little, but normally not enough to disrupt a pattern.
DavidRNichols

Post by DavidRNichols »

JVan wrote:I do not have Skype either, Just wanted to say Hello to Mr. David, Love your work you are a true artist!
THANK YOU!
DavidRNichols

Post by DavidRNichols »

DavidRNichols wrote:David's here ...
www.custompearlinlay.com
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Thanks for the info.!

My next question would be How to route for extremely tight corners and still get a flush bottom with no gaps? Like an oval with pointed ends?

I did this once but using my dremel I only got close and carved out the rest by hand. Luckily, it was on an ebony fretboard and I used dyed glue to hide the gap.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I personally wish to thanks David for his time in doing this . I cannot thank him enough.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

To let you know David also does give classes in inlay and sell supplies for this art. Don't be afraid to contact him later for your needs . There is a link on the side in the sponsor section for David and Custom Pearl Inlay
He will be helpful. Over 50 years of doing this , I wish I knew what he forgot.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
DavidRNichols

Post by DavidRNichols »

mjmeehan wrote:Thanks for the info.!

My next question would be How to route for extremely tight corners and still get a flush bottom with no gaps? Like an oval with pointed ends?

I did this once but using my dremel I only got close and carved out the rest by hand. Luckily, it was on an ebony fretboard and I used dyed glue to hide the gap.

If you use one of the inlay routers from Blues Creek or Custom Pearl Inlay, they will take bits down to .020 which will leave you with a corner that is invisible when filled.

DavidRNichols

David Nichols - Custom Pearl Inlay

Post by DavidRNichols »

call (518) 483-7685 est Sunday w/questions
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate your time here and the help.

One last question.. What are your thoughts on Abalam vs. straight shell? Are there instances where one has an advantage over the other?

Thanks again!!
DavidRNichols

Post by DavidRNichols »

mjmeehan wrote:Thanks, Dave. I appreciate your time here and the help.

One last question.. What are your thoughts on Abalam vs. straight shell? Are there instances where one has an advantage over the other?

Thanks again!!
My preference is to use ablam wherever there will be a finish over it. The solid shell does not have the glue lines, which sometimes are visible when unfinished (like on a fingerboard). The advantage of ablam is the size of the pieces and the consistency of color.